Indian Lentil & Vegetable Khichdi Recipe - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
A one-pot dish made with lentils, rice and vegetables along with simple spices and ghee. The epitome of comfort food all over India.
- 1 Potato small, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Carrot cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Green peas
Start the instant pot on Sauté mode and heat ghee in it. Add cumin seeds and let them bubble for 30 seconds. Then add onions and ginger. Let them cook for a minute.
Add all the veggies and spices. Stir them well.
Add the lentils, rice and water. Stir them well with the veggies.
Close the instant pot lid, and change the setting to manual or pressure cook mode for 5 minutes at high pressure with vent in sealing position.
When the instant pot beeps, do a 10 minute NPR. This means release the pressure manually 10 minutes after the instant pot beeps.
Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with additional ghee to top it.
Created: This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
Vegan Variation: To make this recipe vegan, replace ghee with oil.
Stovetop Variation: To make this khichdi on a stovetop pressure cooker, follow the same steps and let it cook for 3 whistles.
- You can add more spice with green chilies or increasing the quantity of cayenne in this khichdi. I kept it mild, so everyone in the family can enjoy it.
- You can vary the vegetables added to this khichdi.
- I used split green moong lentils for this khichdi, you can use yellow lentils too.
Calories: 208kcal | Protein: 8.2g | Fat: 5.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.9g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 804mg | Potassium: 474mg | Fiber: 7.6g | Sugar: 4.1g | Vitamin A: 6250IU | Vitamin C: 37.1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2.2mg