Instant Pot Chicken Saag Recipe (Pressure Cooker)
This one-pot Chicken curry with spinach is one of the delicious north Indian dish. Chicken simmered in a creamy spinach sauce, makes it a nutritious dish for all.
- 10 oz Spinach (Palak)
- 1 lb Chicken thighs boneless, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1" inch Ginger chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 Onion medium sized, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Water
Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and heat oil in it. Add cumin seeds and saute for 30 seconds
Add the cut onions, ginger and garlic. Saute for couple of minutes. Add the spices and stir well. Add water and deglaze the pot.
Add the spinach and carefully place the chicken pieces on top of the spinach. Press CANCEL and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
Press MANUAL or Pressure Cook mode for 8 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, do a quick pressure release. PRESS Cancel.
Open the lid, remove the chicken pieces and set aside. Blend the spinach and other ingredients to a creamy texture preferably using an immersion blender.
If needed, cut the chicken into smaller pieces and then add it back to the spinach curry.
Press SAUTE and give the curry a quick boil. This could splutter out, so cover with a lid.
Chicken Saag is ready. Enjoy with naan, roti or rice.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you could transfer the ingredients to a regular blender, blend to a smooth paste and then transfer them back in the instant pot insert.
- I used spinach in this recipe. However I have made this using spinach and chard or spinach and mustard greens, and they come out great.
- If the chicken is not well cooked, then boil for a bit longer in step 7.
- If using chicken breast, cut into 2-3 pieces and pressure cook for 6 minutes.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 732mg | Potassium: 726mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6810IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 3.1mg