Vegetable Rice Pilaf / Pulao Recipe - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Veg Pulao or Vegetable Pilaf is an easy one pot rice dish mixed with a variety of vegetables and mildly flavored with spices.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (1 cup=250ml) rinsed
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 Green Chili Pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup Onion sliced
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Potato medium, cut into small peices
- 2 cups Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Green Beans, Peas, Corn, Edmame) frozen or fresh
- 1 1/4 cup Water
Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat it. Add ghee, whole spices and sauté them for 30 seconds until the cumin seeds change color.
After they start to splutter, add the green chili, onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes until onion turn transparent.
Add tomato and spices. Mix well.
Add potato and mixed vegetables. Mix well.
Add the rice and water. Mix the rice with the vegetables. If anything is stuck to the bottom of the pot, deglaze it. Close the lid with vent in sealing position.
Change the instant pot setting to MANUAL or pressure cook mode for 4 minutes at high pressure.
When the instant pot beeps, do a 10 minute NPR. This means let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then release the pressure manually.
Fluff the rice gently. Vegetable Pilaf is ready. Enjoy with homemade yogurt or raita.
Note: Remove the insert from the instant pot, so the lower layer of rice does not overcook from the hot base.
- Adding whole spices is optional. You can enjoy this vegetable pilaf even if you don't have all the whole spices in your pantry.
- To reduce spice, skip the cayenne.
- Stovetop Variation: If you don't have an instant pot, you could also prepare this beet pulao in the stovetop pressure cooker. I suggest one whistle for the rice, and let the pressure release naturally.
- Vegan Variation: Use your favorite vegetable oil to make this pilaf.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 55.9g | Protein: 6.3g | Fat: 4.1g | Saturated Fat: 3.1g | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 458mg | Fiber: 4.9g | Sugar: 3.2g | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg