Instant Pot Keema Matar Recipe (Ground Chicken Curry)
Instant Pot Keema Matar (Ground Chicken Curry) cooked with onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and wonderful whole spices. A quick and delicious dinner for weeknights.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 Green Chili Pepper diced
- 1 Onion large, diced
- 2 Tomato medium, diced
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Mint leaves (Pudhina) (optional)
- Cilantro to garnish
Start the pressure cooker in SAUTE mode and heat ghee in it. Add all the whole spices and saute them for 30 seconds.
Add onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies and saute for 3 minutes until the raw smell is gone and the onions start to turn golden brown.
Add tomatoes and spices. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add ground chicken and water. Mix chicken well with the other ingredients. This is important, so the chicken does not form lumps. Also make sure to scrape anything stuck at the bottom of the pot.
Press Cancel and close the lid with vent in sealing position.
Cook on MANUAL or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, do a 10 minute NPR, which means release the pressure manually 10 minutes after the beep.
Add the green peas, lemon juice, mint and cilantro leaves and mix well. If any lumps are formed, mash them with the spatula. Cook for a minute on SAUTE mode, so the peas are cooked through.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with naan or dinner rolls (toast them with a little butter).
- Adjust spice to your taste. To make this spicier, add more green chilies and red chili powder.
- Skip the black peppercorns if you don't like crunching into them while having a curry.
- You can use minced meat or ground meat for this recipe.
- If making this with lamb or mutton, increase the pressure cooking time to 8 minutes.
- Stovetop variation: Follow the same steps, allow extra 10 minutes for the chicken to cook in the pan.
- Using keema for puff pastry or sandwiches: After cooking, change to saute mode and dry the moisture in the keema.
Serving: 279g | Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.86g | Protein: 23.78g | Fat: 23.44g | Saturated Fat: 8.63g | Trans Fat: 0.34g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 729mg | Potassium: 503mg | Fiber: 3.3g | Sugar: 4.27g | Vitamin A: 2850IU | Vitamin C: 46.2mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2.3mg