Mom's Chicken Curry - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Mom’s authentic Chicken Curry made in a simple onion-tomato gravy with the aroma of whole spices.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 pound Chicken boneless, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 Green Chili Pepper small, chopped (optional)
- 1 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Onion medium sized, finely chopped
- 2 Tomato medium sized, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Cilantro to garnish
Cut the boneless chicken into small pieces, about 1-2 inch in size.
Heat the instant pot in Sauté mode and add oil to it. Add the whole spices and sauté for 30 seconds to get the aroma.
Add the chopped green chili, onions, ginger and garlic to the pot and sauté for 4 minutes until they turn golden brown. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
Add the chopped tomatoes and spices. Sauté for another 4 minutes, while stirring at regular intervals.
Add the chicken and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the water and stir it with the chicken. Deglaze and scrape off anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Change the instant pot setting to manual/pressure cook mode on high for 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Stir in the lemon juice.
Garnish with cilantro and chicken curry is ready to serve.
- If you want to simplify this recipe, skip the whole spices in this recipe.
- To make this less spicy, you can skip the green chili.
- If using bigger pieces of chicken, increase the pressure cooking time to 7 minutes. I used chicken breasts when making this curry, but chicken thighs would work great too.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Programmable Pressure Cooker.
Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 765mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 14.6% | Vitamin C: 21.5% | Calcium: 2.9% | Iron: 6.6%