Instant Pot Vegetable Sambar / South Indian Lentils Recipe (Pressure Cooker)
A flavorful lentil stew with vegetables, curry leaves and spices prepared in the pressure cooker.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 cup Pumpkin about 120 gms, cut in medium sized pieces
- 1 Carrot cut into small pieces
- 3 Baby Eggplant cut into 4 pieces each
Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add all the tempering ingredients.
When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes, sambar powder and salt. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
Add all the vegetables, toor dal and water to the instant pot. Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode for 8 minutes at high pressure with vent in sealing position.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Stir in the tamarind paste. Stir the sambar so it is mixed well.
Garnish with cilantro and sambar is ready to be served.
- If you don't have tamarind paste, you can soak seedless tamarind in 1/4 cup water and microwave for 30 seconds. It will become soft enough to use.
- If you don't have sambar powder, grind all these spices - 2 whole red chilies, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp whole black peppers, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1234mg | Potassium: 1184mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 5700IU | Vitamin C: 80.1mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 4.7mg