Penne Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
One-pot penne in tomato cream sauce made in Instant Pot.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 5 cloves Garlic diced (not paste)
- 9 oz Penne Pasta (about 3-4 cups)
- 12 oz Marinara Sauce or similar tomato based sauce
- 1/2 cup Green peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1/2 cup Cheese Romano or Parmesan or cheese of your choice
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add the garlic and cook until it is golden brown.
Add the marinara sauce and let it come to a boil. This will take a couple of minutes. (See notes if you have had a Burn issue in your instant pot)
Add a cup of water and then stir in the penne and green peas. Scrape if anything is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Most of the pasta should be covered in the sauce and water. If it is not, add some more water.
Close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position. Change the setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 4 minutes. The time to cook is usually 1 minute less than half of the suggest time on the pasta box. This will result in al dente pasta.
When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually.
Stir in the cream and cheese, so it is mixed well with the sauce. Add in lemon juice and salt to taste. Penne is ready to be served.
Tip: Remove the steel insert from the instant pot, so the bottom does not continue cooking from the heat.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
- Important: In newer versions of Instant Pot, many readers are facing a Burn message. If you have ever seen a Burn in your instant pot, I recommend skipping step 2 and adding the marinara sauce just before pressure cooking. Just spread the sauce on top of the penne, do not stir it.
Calories: 447kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 843mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 21.7% | Vitamin C: 19.2% | Calcium: 15.7% | Iron: 11.8%