Lauki / Bottle Gourd Curry - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
A traditional North Indian curry, Lauki or Bottle Gourd Curry prepared in an onion-tomato base with ginger, garlic and spices.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 2 Bottle Gourd (Lauki) peeled and cut into small about 1/2 inch pieces (about 4-5 cups, see post for more details)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1" inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1 Green Chili Pepper (optional) Bird's eye or another variety
- 1 Onion large chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 2 Tomato large chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tsp Dry Mango powder (Amchur) or 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Cilantro to garnish
Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add cumin, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
Once the garlic has turned golden brown, add the chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add in the chopped tomatoes, spices and salt. If anything is stuck to the bottom of the pot, scrape it. If needed, add 2-3 tbsp of water and deglaze the pot.
Add the cut Lauki pieces and stir well. Press Cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position. (see notes)
Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 6 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, do 10 minutes NPR which means release the pressure manually after 10 minutes.
Stir the curry and garnish with cilantro. Lauki curry is ready to be served with roti or rice.
Burn: If your instant pot is shown BURN in the past, add 1/4 cup of water and deglaze the pot before pressure cooking. You might have to put the instant pot on sauté at the end to reduce the liquid.
Green Chili Pepper: I typically use Thai or Birdeye Chili Pepper for this recipes. Don't forget to adjust to your taste.
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1608mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 705IU | Vitamin C: 19.2mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1.1mg