Healthy Vegetarian Mexican Casserole with Rice & Beans
Healthy Vegetarian Mexican Rice and Bean Casserole is easy to make and filled with cheesy goodness, along with brown rice and lots of veggies. This is an easy gluten free & vegetarian casserole for a weeknight dinner or your next party!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1.5 cup Red Bell Peppers chopped
- 1.5 cup Green Bell Peppers chopped
- 2 Jalapeños 1 sliced + 1 diced, divided (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups Corn kernels frozen
- 1 can Black Beans 14oz, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14oz, I used fire-roasted
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 4 cups Brown Rice Cooked
- 1 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend cheese shredded, for topping
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin (Jeera powder)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
Sauté the veggies
Heat a large skillet with oil. Add onions, peppers and diced jalapeño. Sauté for about 4 minutes mins or until they start to brown sightly. Add the corn and saute for couple more minutes. Add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, lime juice and then the spices. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust salt.
Add the cooked brown rice and mix well. Then add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and mix it.
Preparing & Baking the casserole:
Preheat oven to 400º F. Grease the baking dish.
Transfer the rice and veggies mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and Mexican blend cheese on the top.
Bake in the center of the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling.
(optional) Leave a few minutes under broil if desired until lightly golden.
Garnish with cilantro and sliced jalapeños. Cut into squares and serve!
Make it less spicy: Skip jalapeños and cayenne.
Rice options: Cooked white rice can be used in this recipe too. I cooked brown rice in the instant pot.
Make it vegan: Use vegan cheese.
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 482mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1065IU | Vitamin C: 47.4mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 2.6mg