Indian Masala Chai Recipe (Spiced Milk Tea)
A warm cup of authentic Indian Masala Chai, prepared with aromatic spices and ginger, to refresh and brighten your morning!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
- 1 1/3 cup Water
- 2/3 cup Milk Whole milk or 2%, add or reduce to taste
- 1 inch Ginger freshly grated (about 3oz)
- 3 tsp Tea leaves
- 2 tsp Sugar adjust to taste
Chai masala spices (can be replaced with 1/2 tsp prepared Chai Masala)
Heat water in a pot on medium-high heat.
While water is hearting, crush spices using a mortar and pestle or a coffee/spice grinder. Add the crushed spices to the water. (The spices can be replaced with 1/2 tsp of prepared Chai Masala)
Grate the ginger directly into the pot of water. Reduce heat to medium and bring the water to a boil.
Add the tea leaves and let it boil for a minute. You can also add sugar at this time or add it in the cup when serving.
Add milk and stir it in.
Bring the tea to a boil. The tea can overflow easily, so keep a close eye.
Once the tea comes to a boil. Turn off the gas and cover with a lid for one minute.
Strain the tea in a cup and enjoy!
- Water to Milk Ratio: This ratio is very much a personal preference. I prefer about 2/3 water to 1/3 milk in a cup of Chai. If you like richer, thicker tea, you could use more milk and less water or for a stronger tea, use even lesser milk.
- Make sure the water is simmering before you add the spices and ginger.
- Ginger is a must have. Add ginger in water and let it simmer before adding milk, else it can curdle the tea sometimes.
- Adjust the spices you add to your taste. A few tries and you will know your preference. I like to make Chai Masala blend and have it handy for everyday use.
- Do not boil the tea leaves for long, just about a minute.
- You can pick the pot using the pot handle to move it in circular motion carefully. This helps to stir it well.
Calories: 77kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 130mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 0.3mg