Make restaurant-style Chilli Chicken at home with this easy recipe. Crispy and flavorful is how I would describe this Chilli Chicken. Boneless chicken is marinated in flavorful sauces, fried until crispy, this is stir fried with lots of ginger, garlic, onions, bell peppers and sauces.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 lb Chicken thighs boneless
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp Oil for stir fry
- 12 cloves Garlic finely diced
- 1 inch Ginger finely diced
- 3-4 Green Chili Pepper cut lengthwise, adjust to taste
- 2 cup Red Onions cut into squares and layers separated
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper cut into squares
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper cut into squares
- 1/4 cup Spring Onions whites and green separated
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Water
- Sesame seeds for garnish
For the chicken marinade:
Marinate the chicken
Cut the chicke into thin slices about an inch in size. Put them in a large bowl.
Add all the marinade ingredients to the bowl and mix well with the chicken. Set aside for about 20 minutes. You can also refrigerate overnight. While the chicken is resting, prep the stir fry ingredients.
Prepare the sauce and stir fry
Mix all the stir fry sauces in a bowl.
Make a slurry wiith mixing the cornstarch and water.
In a wok or pan, heat oil for the stir fry on high heat. Add ginger, garlic and green chili pepper. Saute for a minute.
Add onions, red and green bell pepper. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the white part of the spring onions and saute for another minute.
Add the mixed sauces. Then add the cornstarch slurry. Mix and cook till the sauce thickens.
Add the chicken and toss for a minute till the sauce coats the chicken.
Garnish with green part of spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Tips to make Perfect Chilli Chicken:
- It is important to keep all the ingredients ready before frying the chicken. This will help to ensure that the chicken remains crispy in the final stir fry.
- Adjust the spice level to taste by adjusting the red chili sauce and green chili in the stir fry. You can also add Kashmiri Red Chili powder or Schezwan sauce to adjust the spice. I like these two options as they also add to the wonderful red color of the final dish.
- When frying the chicken, do not overcook. You just want to get it golden brown on all sides.
- When stir frying the veggies, it is important to do so on high heat. This will help to get flash cooked veggies with a slight crunch.
- Make this chilli chicken as an appetizer or as a gravy depending on how you would like to enjoy it.
Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1074mg | Potassium: 568mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1455IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg