Broccoli Cheddar Soup - Instant Pot
A comforting Creamy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar soup is loaded with veggies and cheddar cheese.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese grated
- 3 cups Broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 cups Broth Veggie or Chicken
Seasoning (adjust to taste)
Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and melt butter in it. Add diced onions and minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add broccoli, carrots, seasoning and broth. Mix it all well. Press Cancel and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
Set the instant pot on MANUAL or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid.
When the pressure cooking is done, melt butter on a stovetop saucepan. Add the flour and saute for a minute until it is cooked. Whisk in the cream/milk, a little bit at a time, until you have a smooth thick consistency.
Mix it together
Change the instant pot to SAUTE mode. Stir in the sauce you prepared on stovetop. Add the cheddar cheese gradually, stirring continuously, until it melts. Press Cancel.
Soup is ready to be served.
- I have used Better Than Bullion base to make broth. It is just easier to keep at hand for all my cooking.
- I used only cheddar cheese in this recipe. If you like, you can add other cheeses you love.
- No Flour / Gluten-free variation: Skip the all-purpose flour to make this soup gluten-free. Add the extra butter in step 1 to the instant pot and cream/milk after pressure cooking is done.
- No cream variation: Some readers have tried this soup with milk, in place of cream and they loved it. It was a thinner consistency, but the same great taste.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
- This recipe has been updated to not cook flour under pressure. The previous recipe instructions were requested by some readers, so I am sharing the changes here -
- In step 1, add all the butter (including what is mentioned in stovetop section). Add diced onions and minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and saute for a minute until it is cooked. Add the broth and mix it well with the flour to a smooth consistency. Add broccoli, carrots and seasoning.
- After this follow the steps to close the lid and pressure cook. Stir in the cream after releasing pressure. Stovetop steps can be skipped.
Serving: 224g | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.3g | Protein: 11.85g | Fat: 25.57g | Saturated Fat: 15.145g | Trans Fat: 0.444g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 505mg | Potassium: 280mg | Fiber: 2.1g | Sugar: 3.41g | Vitamin A: 9400IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 310mg | Iron: 0.9mg