Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
A delicious and healthy Chicken Fajita Soup made in the Pressure Cooker. Flavor packed with tender chicken, lots of veggies and spices. Low carb and gluten free.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 lb Chicken boneless (thighs or breast)
- 1 tbsp Butter or Oil
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 1 Jalapeno diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 4 Tomato diced (or 14 oz can)
- 2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp Sour Cream (optional)
- 1 Scallion or Green onion chopped
Start the pressure cooker in SAUTE mode and heat it. Add oil, onions, garlic, jalapenos and bell peppers. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, broth and spices. Stir it all up. Scrape anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Place chicken pieces in a single layer and gently press them under the liquid. Press Cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
Set on Pressure Cook mode at high pressure for 12 mins. Do a 10 minute NPR, which means open the instant pot 10 mins after it beeps.
Remove chicken pieces and shred them. Put the shredded chicken back in pot.
Add the lemon juice and sour cream. Stir continuously as soon as you add the sour cream, so it does not curdle.
Garnish with scallions and serve.
(Optional) Add your favorite toppings - tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream or guacamole.
- I have used Better Than Bullion base to make broth. It is just easier to keep at hand for all my cooking. You may want to skip adding salt if using this.
- If you have taco or fajita seasoning at hand, you can add 1 tbsp in place of cumin, coriander and chili flakes.
- If you are using smaller pieces of chicken, reduce the cooking time to 8 minutes.
Serving: 456g | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.7g | Protein: 25.43g | Fat: 9.39g | Saturated Fat: 1.953g | Trans Fat: 0.023g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 775mg | Fiber: 3.4g | Sugar: 6.89g | Vitamin A: 4300IU | Vitamin C: 81.7mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2.2mg