Basil Walnut Pesto
This easy Basil Walnut Pesto can be made in 10 minutes with just 5 ingredients - Fresh basil leaves, walnuts, garlic, romano (or parmesan) and olive oil.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 (about 1 cup)
Place the basil leaves and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times to break them down.
Add garlic, cheese and pulse again until they are all mixed. Scrape the sides if needed.
In a steady stream add olive oil and pulse until it is blended with the ingredients.
Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped on pasta or as a spread on sandwiches.
Use immediately or store in an air tight jar to retain freshness. If you plan to store for longer, add more olive oil on the top so the pesto is not exposed to any air.
- Walnuts can be replaced with pine nuts or almonds.
- For variation, you can add parsley or cilantro or spinach or kale to this recipe, along with basil.
- Another great addition to pesto is lime juice. So add a squeeze to your taste.
- To store pesto in a refrigerator, keep in an air tight container and add a thin layer of olive oil on top.
- To freeze, omit the cheese (which does not freeze well) and store in ice cube trays, so you can remove the amount needed at a time.
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 685IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 1.1mg