A delicious homemade banana bread loaf sprinkled generously with chocolate chips. Try this quick, easy and sinfully moist banana bread recipe made with ripe bananas that are sitting right on your kitchen counter.
This chocolate chip banana bread is an easy one-bowl recipe with no need for a mixer or any other appliances. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl and use a whisk and spatula to bring it all together. The chocolate is not overpowering and gives you the gooey goodness and takes this yummy chocolate chips banana bread to the next level.
The chips melt within the banana bread loaf, giving you a taste of bliss. The buttery banana and melty chocolate chips make for a best-ever banana bread recipe and a sure family favorite.
My family would eat this banana bread anytime. In fact, when ever I bake it, half is gone right when it comes out of the oven and is warm.
I prefer both chocolate and walnuts on my banana bread, but my daughter wants an excess of chocolate chips. She is the reason for chocolate on any bread or muffins I make!
If you are looking for a healthier version of this banana bread, check out my Whole Wheat Banana Bread which does not use any butter or sugar too.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
When my daughter wants a cake or bread that has chocolate, this banana bread and these easy banana chocolate chip muffins fit the bill perfectly. I usually have ripe bananas sitting on the counter. They add the perfect sweetness to the bread, and add a little bit of temptation with the chocolate chips. This recipe has now become a family favorite and we never tire of it. You can also make this easy banana bread recipe topped with walnuts in place of chocolate chips.
How to make this easy chocolate chip banana bread?
This recipe calls for no appliances except the oven. All you need to have a is a bowl large enough for you to mash and mix all the ingredients together well. To make this banana bread, you need ripe bananas, the browner they are, the better is the flavor.
- Before you start prepping the ingredients, pre-heat the oven at 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan or you can line a parchment paper inside the pan.
- Now is the time to mix to all the ingredients of this best banana bread recipe.
- Take a large bowl, peel the bananas and mash them well without any lumps. If you like little lumps in your banana bread then you can mash the bananas coarsely.
- Then mix the butter with the mashed bananas well.
- Then add sugar, yogurt, vanilla with the banana and butter mixture. Sprinkle the baking soda and a pinch of salt and mix all the ingredients together.
- Now you need to add the flour and mix well before adding the chocolate chips to the banana bread.
- Save some chocolate chips to add on the top of the banana bread once you have transferred the batter into the greased pan.
- Pour the batter and spread the chocolate chips on the top and slide the pan into the oven for baking.
- Bake the banana bread for 45 minutes. Stick a toothpick inside the bread and see whether it comes out clean. if not bake for a few more minutes.
- Once you have removed the pan from the oven, let it cool for some time before taking the bread out of the pan.
- Remove the banana bread from the loaf pan and place it on a wire rack.
- Slice it and enjoy the delicious slice of chocolate chip banana bread with your family.
Tips to make a loaf of delicious banana bread:
If you want to make this homemade banana bread more delicious, try these tips:
- Use ripe spotted bananas for making this recipe. If your bananas are just getting brown leave them for an extra day.
- It is best to have all the ingredients be at room temperature before you start mixing.
- You can mash the bananas well if you want a smooth and moist banana bread or you can leave them a bit chunky too.
- I generally use granulated sugar to make this banana bread recipe, but brown sugar works well too.
- Melted butter works much better for this banana bread as this a one-bowl recipe and does not use a mixer.
- Once you have added the dry ingredients, do not mix too much. Just fold in the flour gently.
- I have used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips for this banana bread recipe, but you can use normal sized chocolate chips as well.
- To keep your banana bread moist, wrap it in a plastic wrap and store it your kitchen counter or refrigerator.
How to store Banana Bread?
The best way is to keep Banana bread you are going to enjoy in 2-3 days is on the kitchen counter. Once the banana bread is cooled, cover it with a plastic cling wrap or in an airtight container.
Can you store your banana bread in the freezer?
Yes, you can store the banana bread in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can store the whole loaf or cut it in slices. Just wrap the banana bread in plastic wrap or freeze wrap, then put in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer. Take it out of the freezer and let it come to room temperature and then enjoy a delicious slice. You can also warm it in the microwave for 10 seconds to get the fresh out of the oven taste!
Hope you enjoy this delicious Banana Bread with chocolate chips!
Easy One-Bowl Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 3 Banana ripe
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter melted
- ⅔ cup Sugar granulated
- 1 Egg large
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour 6.59 oz / 187 gms
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips I used mini
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x5 loaf pan or line a parchment paper in the pan.
- In a large bowl, peel and smash bananas with a fork. Mix butter into the mashed bananas.
- Mix in the sugar, egg, yogurt and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
- Add the flour last, mix well. Then fold in the chocolate chips (save some to top after transferring the batter to the loaf pan).
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Spread the saved chocolate chips evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the banana bread from the loaf pan on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
I am not sure what i did wrong, first time making this but didn't grow at all. I was wondering if it was baking soda instead of powder, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I used greek yogurt, could that have been the issue?
I will try again...eben tho did not grew at all was still delicious.
Meeta Arora says
Hi Sofia - sorry to hear that the bread did not work out as well. I do use baking soda in this recipe. I think greek yogurt should work fine. Glad you still liked the taste.
Luiza kotian says
HI ,can I use salted butter
Meeta Arora says
Hi Luiza - Sure! if you use salted butter, skip adding the additional salt in the recipe.
Amy B says
Wondering if it would work with whole wheat, almond, coconut or a flour mix? If someone tries that, would you please let me know. Thanks!
Is there a sugar substitute that can be used?
Meeta Arora says
Hi Vejay - You can use maple or agave syrup in this recipe in place of sugar. Hope you enjoy the banana bread.
Raising hand.....I use 1/3 cup Stevia Leaf Extract (a powder) and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt to make up the volume. It works really well for me. Thank you for all of your hard work, I really love your recipes. Take care...
Meeta Arora says
Hi Laura - Thank you for sharing 😊
Anusha S says
Hi a substitute for egg? i dont eat agg.. can i replace with milk or curd?
Meeta Arora says
Hi Anusha - I have not tried, but using 1/4 cup applesauce in place of an egg or Vinegar & baking soda (1 tsp baking soda mixed with 1 tbsp vinegar replaces 1 egg) are popular to substitute eggs in such bread recipes. Hope you give it a try!
Can use Walnuts instead chocolate chips? If I can , then sugar quantity remain the same if not using chocolate chips?
Meeta Arora says
Hi Bhavana - Sure, you can use walnuts in this recipe. If not using chocolate chips, you can increase sugar to 3/4 cup. If you like lightly sweetened banana bread, 2/3 cup would work fine too. Hope you enjoy it!
This bread turned out delicious! Will definitely make this more often. It was super easy to prepare.
This was easy to make and it turned out delicious! I added chocolate chips and walnuts to mine. Will definitely be making it again.
Yes you can make without egg.replace one egg with one tablespoon vinegar or 1/4 cup applesauce or 1/4 cup Plain yogurt
Hi! Can I make this recipe without egg? Thanks!