A perfect soup that is a complete meal in itself – Beans, loads of veggies and pasta, topped with cheese and a side of bread. Vegetarian friendly and can easily be made gluten-free and vegan.
Fall is in full swing, although not so much in California yet. But I am still craving soup! So here is a hearty and healthy vegetarian Minestrone soup made in the Instant Pot. It is a perfect combination of tasty and nutritious.
Beans, loads of veggies and pasta, all cooked in a yummy broth….so flavorful. This is a complete meal with protein, carbs, and loads of nutrients from the veggies. It is also the easiest thing to make. It is most a throw all in and let the magic pot do it’s work kind of soup.
This is a perfect Vegetarian Instant Pot Soup!
Vegan? Skip the cheese at the end!
Gluten-free? Skip the pasta or use a rice or quinoa pasta to make this gluten free.
Check out this collection of 17 Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup recipes for more delicious soups!
Preparing Minestrone in Instant Pot
This is a very easy soup to prepare in the instant pot. However it does have a rather long list of ingredients.
Look for all the veggies in your refrigerator…okay, not all but most veggies work great in this soup. I used fresh tomatoes in this recipe, but canned tomatoes would work just as well.
I always keep some canned beans in the pantry. You can also cook the beans in the instant pot, which is great. Many recipes add beans at the end after pressure cooking, but I like the canned beans cooked with the broth and veggies so they soak in the flavor.
Here is a video to show the preparation of the minestrone soup.
If you like this recipe, do let us know by leaving a comment. You might like other soups made in a pressure cooker –
Minestrone Soup - Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 4 Tomato diced
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 2 Carrot chopped
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup Pasta (I used elbow macaroni)
- 32 oz Vegetable Broth
- 1 can White Kidney Beans 15oz (cannellini)
- 2 cups Spinach (Palak) chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated (optional)
- Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and heat olive oil in it.
- Add diced onions and minced garlic. Stir and Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and chopped celery, carrots and zucchini. Add in the italian seasoning, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add in the pasta, veggie broth and white kidney beans. Stir it all up. Make sure the pasta is under the broth.
- Press Cancel and set to SOUP setting (high pressure) for 20 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then manually release the pressure. If you have time, you can also allow a NPR.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and minestrone soup is ready to serve.
- You can use "Better than Bouillon" base if you prefer. I had low sodium veggie broth at hand and used it.
- Same for beans, I used white kidney beans, but any beans you have at hand would work. You could also cook the beans in the instant pot. Soak the beans in ample water for 2 hours and cook them for 20 minutes at high pressure in the instant pot. Then use them in this recipe.
- You can vary veggies to your choice. Some options are bell peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes.
- Add jalapenos for an extra spice kick.
- Pasta: If you like firm pasta in the soup, cook it separately following directions on the package and then add it before adding spinach. Other option is to cook this soup for only 10 minutes.
- Vegan Variation: Skip the Parmesan cheese at the end.
- Gluten Free Variation: Skip the pasta or use a gluten-free pasta.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.