Want comfort food without having to feel guilty? Here is your new favorite Roasted Red Pepper & Carrot Soup made in the Instant Pot. This vegan and gluten free soup has deep bold flavors from roasting the red peppers and carrots.
I love soups, especially on cold winter evenings. They give such a warm, comforting feeling. This Roasted Carrot and Bell Pepper Soup has a lot of flavor and is very nutritious.
The rich flavor in this soup comes from roasting the carrots and red peppers. You can use any color bell pepper, but red is preferred to get the deep red color. When I served this soup to my husband, he thought it had loads of tomatoes looking at the color. But just the carrots and red peppers give it such a great color and taste, that you would not want to stop eating it.
I know waiting to roast the veggies to make this soup is the hardest part. But trust me, you will not mind the extra time it takes to roast the red peppers after tasting this soup.
Nutrient packed Carrots & Red Peppers
Bell peppers, also called sweet peppers or capsicums, are low in calories and rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants, making them a great addition to a healthy diet. Carrots are a great source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants. These primary ingredients, make this a very nutritious meal.
How to make Red Pepper & Carrot Soup in Instant Pot?
Start with roasting the carrots, red peppers with a generous amount of olive oil, with salt sprinkled over them.
Remove from oven & let them cool.
Peel the blackened portion from the red peppers. You can transfer the warm red peppers to a container with lid on. Shake and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. This makes it easier to remove the peels.
Now sauté garlic and onions in the instant pot for a few minutes.
Add the roasted red pepper and carrots to the instant pot. Add the spices and broth. Pressure cook for a few minutes in the instant pot and then blend to get a smooth texture using an immersion blender. You can also transfer to a blender such as vitamix to blend it. Make sure the ingredients are cooled before blending.
The soups looked so rich, even though I did not add any cream to it. Some days you want to indulge, so go ahead and add the cream if you prefer.
You can have this soup as a complete meal with some bread as a side or have it with a salad.
Check out other soup recipes:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Vegan Roasted Red Pepper & Carrot Soup - Instant Pot
- 4 Carrot
- 2 Red pepper cut in to large pieces, remove stem and seeds
- 1/2 Onion cut into large pieces
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1 tsp Salt divided
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper (optional)
- 3 tbsp Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
Roasting the veggies:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place carrots and red peppers (cut side down) on a large baking tray in a single layer. Drizzle some olive oil over the tray and sprinkle some salt.
- Roast in oven for 30 mins. Remove from oven. Let the peppers cool, so you can peel the blackened skin. You can also transfer the peppers to a bowl with lid on. Shake and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. This will make it easier to remove the skin.
Making the soup:
- Start the instant pot in sauté mode and let it heat. Add olive oil, bay leaf, garlic and onions. Let them saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the roasted carrots, red peppers and broth. Add ground cumin and salt. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Start the instant pot on manual or pressure cook mode for 3 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds. Soup is ready to be enjoyed.
- You can also use garam masala for a deeper flavor, in place of ground cumin.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
Update: This post was updated with better pictures and details on September 7, 2018.