Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is delicious and nutritious with lots of veggies. Made with fresh tomatoes along with carrots, celery, onion and a hint of garlic, topped with some cream and cheese. Oh so creamy…you will love it!
The Instant Pot is a perfect gadget to make soups. I have made this soup many times in a stovetop pressure cooker. Now that I have the instant pot, I use it for almost all my soups, or rather I should say most of my cooking.
I prepare this soup with fresh tomatoes. However if you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can always replace with canned diced tomatoes. I prefer it with fresh tomatoes and prepare in bulk to be enjoyed for dinner and packed lunches. As you can see, I also like to sneak in lots of other veggies. I would not leave the opportunity to add more veggies, especially when they don’t even alter the taste much.
How to make Creamy Tomato Soup in the Instant Pot
Let’s start with getting the ingredients ready. Chop the onions, You can cut the other veggies into bigger pieces, as we are going to use an immersion blender later.
This is a simple 5 step recipe. Heat butter and sauté chopped garlic and onions. Then add chopped carrots, celery and tomatoes to the instant pot along with the broth. I use Better than Bouillon to make broth. It is very convenient and I don’t have to store large packs of broth. In this recipe, as we are using lots of vegetables, it is okay to add water in place of broth too.
Pressure cook for 6 minutes. You can add dry basil here if you have it, but the soup tastes great even without it.
When the instant pot beeps, open it and use an immersion blender to make a smooth puree. Immersion blender has become one of my favorite gadgets as I am making more one-pot recipes.
Set instant pot on sauté mode and let the soup boil. Stir in the cream and cheese, and let them cook for couple of minutes until they mix well.
Garnish with freshly some grated cheese and cilantro (optional). Enjoy with garlic bread.
Blast from the past:
- Recipe posted 3 months ago – Pumpkin Curry
- Recipe posted 6 months ago – Cumin / Jeera Rice
- Recipe posted 9 months ago – Rajma / Red Kidney Beans Curry with Rice
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp Butter or Oil
- 7 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 5 Carrot chopped (I used small thin carrots)
- 3 stalks Celery chopped
- 5 Tomato chopped
- 3/4 cup Broth or water
- 1/4 cup Romano Cheese grated (optional)
- 1/4 cup Cream heavy whipping, use coconut milk for vegan
- 2 tbsp Cilantro to garnish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Start the instant pot in Sauté mode and wait till it displays HOT. Add butter and let it melt. Add chopped onions, garlic and cook for a minute. Add in carrots and celery to instant pot. Add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add broth to instant pot and stir it with all the veggies making sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Press cancel and close the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Start instant pot in manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 6 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until it is smooth. Or transfer to a blender and carefully blend the soup in batches. (If you like your tomato soup to be very smooth, you can strain it over a fine mesh strainer)
- Stir in the cream and cheese. Simmer for another 2 minutes on sauté mode until the cheese mixes well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Give the soup a taste and adjust broth or seasoning to taste, adding any extra of whatever you prefer to get your ideal thickness and flavor.
- Garnish with cilantro and grated cheese (optional). Creamy Tomato Soup is ready to be served with garlic bread or your favorite side.
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes, you can always replace with canned diced tomatoes.
- This soup can be prepared in bulk and freezed to be enjoyed later.
- Vegan Variation: Use vegan butter or your favorite oil. Replace cream with coconut milk and skip the cheese or use vegan cheese.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Check out other soup recipes from piping pot curry –