Enjoy this healthy Cream of Broccoli soup made in the Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) in less than 30 minutes. This delicious comfort soup can be enjoyed guilt free now, with this plant-based, vegan & gluten free recipe. Perfect for a quick satisfying lunch or dinner.
I love making soups in the Instant Pot. You might have guessed as the last few recipes I shared have all been soups. The latest two were so good - Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup & Vegan Turmeric Cauliflower Soup. And guess what? My husband liked this Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup more than any of them.
If you are looking for an Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup recipe, then this Cream of Broccoli Soup should be on the must try list!
Is Cream of Broccoli Soup healthy?
A resounding yes for this recipe! You will find all fresh and clean ingredients in this recipe - broccoli, onions, carrots, cashews, vegetable broth and coconut milk. This cream of broccoli soup is just 265 calories for a single serving.
I made this a dairy-free cream of broccoli soup, with the addition of cashews and coconut milk to make it creamy. I skipped traditional cream in this recipe, but if you like you can always substitute that for coconut milk.
I don't add any cheese to this Cream of Broccoli soup as it is already so creamy with the cashews and coconut milk. However if you want to make it nut free, you can add cheese (or vegan cheese) in place of cashews too. Another option is to use potatoes to thicken the soup.
Why you will love this vegetarian soup?
√ Vegan & gluten free
√ Made from healthy nourishing ingredients
√ Takes less than 30 minutes to make
√ Easy to make in the instant pot / pressure cooker
√ Packed with flavor
√ Stores well and can be frozen
How to make?
There are very minimal ingredients for this recipe and all of them easily available.
Start the instant pot and sauté onions, garlic in hot oil for a few minutes. After that this is a dump and go recipe - Add the broccoli, carrots, cashews and broth, then pressure cook.
Once pressure cooking is done, add in the coconut milk and puree using an immersion blender. I find using an immersion blender very convenient as I can puree in the same pot. Less to clean!
You can also transfer to a blender such as Vitamix to puree the soup. Let the ingredients cool a bit before pureeing in a stand alone blender.
Now season the soup to taste and it is all ready for you to enjoy!
Isn't that quick? Wow...I love how easy it is to make healthy soups in the Instant Pot. They are such a perfect meal as the weather is cooling down.
Below are some common question for Cream of Broccoli Soup:
What broth to use?
I like to keep Better than Bouillon in the refrigerator at all times. Making broth is so easy with it. I don't have to buy cartons of broth that use so much space and are also expensive. I used vegetable broth base in this recipe to make it vegan. You can choose to add the broth of you choice.
How to thicken Cream of Broccoli Soup?
I used Cashews and Coconut milk to thicken this Instant Pot Broccoli Soup. Few other options are:
- Heavy cream - This will include dairy in the soup.
- Potatoes - The soup is still vegan & gluten free with this option.
- Cheese - You can use dairy or non-dairy cheese.
- Almond Milk - You can add almond milk at the end in place of coconut milk.
Can this soup be frozen?
This soup is dairy-free and hence perfect to freeze. It stays good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days as well. Let the soup cool down completely, then pack in small containers before you freeze, so you are only taking out as needed at a time.
What to serve with Cream of Broccoli soup?
My favorite side with soup is toasted bread or garlic bread to dunk into the soup. Grilled cheese sandwich is a great side along with any soup. A side salad will pair well too. If you want some meat, then grilled chicken would be great as well.
Try other vegan soups made in the Instant Pot:
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper & Carrot Soup
- Vegan Hearty Brown Lentil Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
Pressure Cooker Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Basil (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Parsley chopped (optional)
- Start the instant pot in Saute mode and heat oil in it. Add diced onions and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, cashews and broth. Stir it all up. Press Cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for for 3 mins.
- After the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then release the pressure manually.
- Add coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a creamy texture. You can also transfer to a blender such as Vitamix to blend the soup. Be careful while blending to avoid hot splatters.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Top with parsley and basil to garnish. Enjoy with toasted bread!
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.