Excited to have a warm bowl of creamy soupy goodness? This Thai Butternut Squash Soup made in the Instant Pot is what you have been waiting for. It is creamy, flavorful, healthy and vegan!
If you like the recipes I share, join me in my Instant Pot Facebook group for more delicious recipes, to ask questions or share your creations.
Very often I am at Starbucks working, and the smell of pumpkin spice latte and scones is mesmerizing. It gets me in a great mood for Fall….or rather soup season! I am sharing that with you with this Butternut Squash Soup.
I love yellow and orange color.. you would know by seeing my blog. So this soup has my heart too! Okay, it is not just the right color, it is also healthy and soo creamy. I am a sucker for creamy goodness like this cauliflower soup and broccoli cheddar soup.
Another thing that I am a sucker for is for spicy food. To add spice to this soup, I made it with Thai flavors. I use red curry paste and sprinkle some chili flakes to make this a Spicy Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup in the Instant Pot. This is a super easy recipe that can be made in less than 30 minutes in the Instant pot.
Butternut squash already gives a great creamy texture to the soup. To make this soup even creamier, I add coconut milk at the end. It also helps to keep the soup vegan. You can always use heavy whipping cream too if you like for a non-vegan version.
Check out this collection of 17 Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup recipes for more delicious soups!
Easy step-by-step Butternut Squash Soup in Pressure Cooker
Let’s start with gathering the ingredients. There are really not many.
The only one you might need to go to a store for is the Thai red curry paste (psst…you can use a curry powder…it won’t be Thai, but just curried then ?). If you are vegan, make sure to buy a vegan curry paste. I like this Thai Kitchen brand red curry paste.
The most painful part of the soup is to peel and cut the squash. Think about the end result and cutting it will seen effortless ☺️
Start the instant pot and saute the onions, ginger and garlic in some oil.
Then add the squash, red curry paste and broth. Stir it all and pressure cook.
Do a 10 minute natural pressure release once the instant pot beeps. Then carefully open the lid.
Add in the coconut milk, lime juice and season to taste. I added some salt, pepper and chili flakes (optional).
To keep the Thai theme for this soup, I like to garnish it with some coconut milk, cilantro and roasted peanuts.
Doesn’t it look gorgeous? Let’s dig in!
Why will you love this Spicy Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup?
✓ It is creamy healthy goodness
✓ Add spice to your taste with the red curry paste and chili flakes
✓ It is vegan and gluten-free
✓ So easy to make in the Instant Pot
✓ It freezes well
Variations to make Butternut Squash Soup
1. Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Add a green apple cut into pieces along with the butternut squash before pressure cooking.
2. Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Add a tablespoon of curry powder in place of the red curry paste.
3. Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
Add more coconut milk to this recipe, about one 14oz can to get a prominent coconuty taste. You can also garnish the soup with dried coconut flakes.
4. Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
Increase the amount of red curry paste and add chili flakes to your taste while serving.
Give this Butternut Squash Soup in Instant Pot a try. Do share in comments how you liked it.
Try other vegan soups made in the Instant Pot:
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper & Carrot Soup
- Vegan Hearty Brown Lentil Soup
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Thai Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe - Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger minced
- 2 lbs Butternut Squash peeled, seeded and cut into pieces, about 6 cups
- 1 tbsp Red curry paste adjust more to taste
- 1.5 cups Vegetable broth
- 1/2 can Coconut milk 14oz canned full fat
- 1/2 tsp Salt adjust to taste
- Black Pepper add to taste (optional)
- 1/2 Lime juice
- Start the instant pot in Saute mode and heat oil in it. Add diced onions, ginger and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, red curry paste, broth and stir to combine. Press Cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for for 8 mins.
- After the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then release the pressure manually.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a creamy texture. You can also transfer to a blender such as Vitamix to blend the soup. Be careful while blending to avoid hot splatters.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice and stir well. Add salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste.
- Garnish the soup with cilantro, coconut milk and peanuts. Serve hot with a side of crusty bread!
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup - Add a green apple cut into pieces along with the butternut squash before pressure cooking.
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup - Add a tablespoon of curry powder in place of the red curry paste.
- Coconut Butternut Squash Soup - Add more coconut milk to this recipe, about one 14oz can to get a prominent coconuty taste.
- Spicy Butternut Squash Soup - Increase the amount of red curry paste and add chili flakes to your taste while serving.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.