This easy dump-and-go Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup is a warm and comforting soup for fall and winter. A creamy soup made with sweet potatoes, carrots, ginger, coconut milk, and aromatic spices!
Recently, we have been enjoying a lot of sweet potato recipes, either roasted in the air fryer or cooked in the instant pot. I wanted to share this delicious sweet potato soup with you, made with ginger and creamy coconut milk.
This soup is so easy to make by just putting in all the ingredients in the instant pot and cooking. Then puree with an immersion blender and enjoy!
This soup is the best if you follow a vegan, gluten-free, or paleo diet. I add coconut milk to this soup for extra creaminess and to keep it dairy-free.
This creamy soup is also perfect for babies and toddlers as it is nutritious. It contains ginger and all the healthy filling vegetables to keep their hunger pangs at bay.
Also, this gluten-free sweet potato soup contains fresh carrots filled with beta-carotene and other wonderful nutrients.
How to make Sweet Potato Soup in the Instant Pot?
Before getting started, wash and peel the sweet potatoes and carrots. Chop them into small chunks. Slice the onions, grate the ginger, and peel the garlic.
- Add the onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, ginger, garlic, and spices to the pressure cooker steel insert.
- Add the required amount of water and stir them well.
- Close the lid with the vent in the sealing position. Set the Instant pot on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking is done, let the pressure release manually.
- Open the pot and blend the soup smoothly using an immersion blender or transfer it to a regular blender and puree. Let the ingredients cool a bit before blending if using a regular blender.
- Finally, add the coconut milk and top it off with the garnishes of your choice.
- Use orange or red-skinned sweet potatoes. They are sweeter and creamier.
- Use the immersion blender if you like your sweet potato bisque smooth and creamy.
- If you want it chunky, then a potato masher would work great.
- You can make this soup in a slow cooker or on the stovetop too; check out the recipe card for more details.
- Some garnishing ideas – are parsley, pepitas, red chili flakes, sesame seeds, crushed peanuts, chopped cashews, or coconut milk.
- Give this sweet potato soup a Thai twist by adding some Thai Red Curry paste.
- You can also add lentils to this soup before pressure cooking.
- You can add other veggies like beets, squash, pumpkin, or apples.
Yes, this soup is very nutritious, with a healthy amount of beta-carotene and Vitamin A. It helps in managing diabetes, lowers the risk of cancer, and comes with many other health benefits.
You can store this soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Yes, this soup can easily be frozen. Let the soup cool completely, then freeze it in individual portions. To enjoy, defrost the soup the night before. Heat in a saucepan or microwave.
You can double this recipe in a 6qt or larger instant pot. The cooking time will remain the same.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious Sweet Potato Soup!
Want more healthy soups? I have got you covered:
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon Oil , I used avocado oil
- 1 cup Onions, sliced, I used yellow onions
- 1 1/2 pound Sweet Potato , about 4 small, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1/2 pound Carrots, about 8-10, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Place all the ingredients except coconut milk in the instant pot steel insert. Stir them and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release manually.
- Open the pot and blend the soup smooth using an immersion blender or regular blender. If using regular blender, you may need to cool the ingredients before blending. Get the contents back to the instant pot.
- Stir in coconut milk. Top with your choice of garnishes and serve.
- Lime juice
- Red chili flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Crushed peanuts or chopped cashews
- Add Thai curry paste, to make this a Thai Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- Add half a cup of lentils along with sweet potato and carrots before pressure cooking to make this a Sweet Potato Lentil Soup.
- Add other veggies such as beets, squash, pumpkin, or apples.