Easy & healthy Coconut Chicken Curry made in an Instant Pot in just 30 minutes! This is simple Indian chicken curry recipe is made with ginger, garlic, onions alongside flavorful spices, and finished with creamy coconut milk. Pair this dairy-free & gluten-free curry with fragrant basmati rice.
This is the best coconut and chicken curry that you'll ever make. Personally, I love curries because they are quick, full of flavor and tastes just as good the following days. This curry is also incredible because it uses basic ingredients,similar to my chicken curry with potatoes, that you most likely have in your kitchen right now.
It's so healthy because it's made from scratch and also very quick to make (thanks to the instant pot), you have control over the ingredients in this curry and the most important part is that this curry is mild, therefore perfect for kids (even picky eaters). Your family will love this recipe!
How to make Coconut Chicken Curry?
Before you start making this coconut chicken curry make sure you have all the ingredients prepped and on hand. Dice your onions and cut your chicken thighs into pieces. Keep the spices ready. Now let's start making this delicious curry.
- Set the Instant Pot on sauté mode and let it heat.
- Add oil along with the cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds until they release their aroma. Cumin seeds are optional but do add a wonderful flavor to the curry.
- Now add the diced onions, garlic, ginger, and sauté them for a few minutes.
- When the onions turn golden brown, add the tomato puree along with the spices and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes. I used canned tomato puree, you can also use fresh tomato puree in this recipe. Blend 2 tomatoes to make a puree.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pot. Stir and sauté for 3 more minutes. Then add the water.
- Switch the Instant Pot to manual or pressure cook on high pressure for 4 minutes with the vent in sealing position.
- As soon as the Instant Pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually and open the lid.
- Now stir in the coconut milk and let it simmer on sauté mode for 1 minute. Use canned coconut milk.
- You are almost ready! Stir in the lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- The coconut chicken curry is ready to be served with flavorful rice or Indian flatbreads. Enjoy!
How to serve this Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk?
Leftovers and Reheating Tips
Seal any leftover curry in an airtight container, it should last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. But if you'd like to make more for the week or month ahead, I suggest you freeze it. Make sure it's fully cooled down before sealing. Once the curry is frozen it will keep well for 3-4 months.
You can reheat the curry in the microwave or on the stovetop while stirring well.
Tips & Variations for making the best coconut chicken curry
- You can use skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs to make this curry.
- Add all the veggies! You can add roasted cauliflower, broccoli florets, green peas and even baby spinach at the end! If you want to add potatoes or sweet potatoes, cut them in large pieces and add them just before pressure cooking.
- You don't want chicken? No problem! You can still make a delicious curry using shrimps like in this Coconut Shrimp Curry.
- For a plant-based version of curry, try this Vegetable Korma with coconut milk which is also made in an instant pot.
Looking for more quick & delicious instant pot recipes? I've got you covered!
- Chickpea Curry with Spinach (Chana Saag) - A healthy vegan and gluten-free curry with chickpeas and spinach.
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta - Spaghetti tossed in a creamy cheese sauce loaded with mushrooms.
- Vegetable Biryani - Fragrant basmati rice cooked with lots of vegetables, and aromatic whole spices and herbs.
- Madras Lentils - Restaurant-style Dal Makhani made in the pressure cooker, it's rich, creamy, and flavorful.
Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera) optional
- 1 cup Onions yellow diced
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger paste or grated
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic paste or minced
- 1 cup Tomato puree canned or blend 2 tomatoes to make a puree
- 1 pound Chicken thighs skinless and boneless, cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces.
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut Milk canned
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- Cilantro to garnish
- Start the instant pot in Sauté mode and let it heat. Add oil, and then add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, ginger and garlic paste. Sauté for about 3 minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add tomato puree and spices. Mix and let it sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces to the pot. Stir and saute the chicken for about 3 minutes.
- Add the water and stir. Press cancel and close lid with the vent in sealing position.
- Start the instant pot in Manual or Pressure cook mode on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually and open the lid.
- Stir in the coconut milk and let it simmer on sauté mode for a minute.
- Stir in the lime juice and garnish with cilantro. Coconut Chicken Curry is ready to be served. Enjoy over basmati rice or with naan.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.