Perfectly cooked Basmati Rice flavored with cumin and whole spices, prepared in Instant Pot. Jeera or Cumin Rice can be enjoyed with any curry or lentil.
One of the reasons to love the instant pot is perfectly cooked rice. You don’t need to keep that extra rice cooker anymore and can free up the counter space.
I have shared the Basmati Rice recipe before, however I actually prefer a little more flavor to my rice. One of the regulars in our house if Jeera or Cumin Rice. Cumin Rice is very commonly made in North India with any curry. This is so much more flavorful that plain rice. I highly recommend trying it out. Cumin Rice goes well with curries and lentils such as Chole Masala, Paneer Butter Masala, Chicken Curry and Dal Makhani.
Benefits of Cumin Seeds
Cumin is very commonly used in Indian cooking. Cumin is Carminative, which means that it relieves you from gas troubles and thereby improves digestion and appetite. You can check out detailed health benefits of cumin here.
Preparing Cumin Rice or Jeera Rice in the Instant Pot
In this recipe, I add whole spices along with cumin. The whole spices add a wonderful aroma to the rice. I usually add the whole spices when preparing rice for a gathering. For everyday rice, I just add cumin seeds. I used Basmati Rice in this recipe. If using another variety of rice, adjust the rice to water ratio accordingly. I like to have rice al dente, and separate. I don’t like sticky or mushy rice. The ghee/oil in this recipe certainly helps to get well done separate grains. That said, everyone has different preferences for rice, so feel free to adjust the recipe to your taste.
To start preparing, wash and drain the rice. This is a no soak recipe, but if you prefer you can soak the rice. If you soak the rice, you can use a rice to water ratio of 1:1.
Heat the instant pot in sauté mode (normal) and add ghee or oil. Then add the whole spices and cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds start to splutter add the rice and stir well. Be careful when adding the rice as there might be some splutters. Add the water and salt. I use a rice to water ratio of 1:1.25 for this recipe.
Change the instant pot setting to manual / pressure cook mode for 4 minutes, at high pressure with vent in sealing position. When the instant pot beeps, do a 5 minute natural pressure release, which means manually release the pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps. Fluff the rice and let them rest for another 5 minutes. Jeera rice are ready to be enjoyed with your favorite curry.
Main things to remember for Perfect Jeera Rice
- No soaking of rice
- Rice to water ratio – 1:1.25
- Pressure Cook / Manual for 4 minutes (high pressure, vent sealed)
- 5 minute NPR – Manually release the pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps
Enjoy this simple jeera rice recipe in instant pot and don’t forget to let me know how you like it. Leave a comment, like our Facebook page or share the recipe on facebook or twitter with #pipingpotcurry.
Check out other rice recipes on pipingpotcurry.
Jeera / Cumin Rice - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Heat the instant pot in sauté mode and add ghee or oil to it. Then add the whole spices and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add rice, water, salt and stir.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual / pressure cook mode for 4 minutes, at high pressure with vent in sealing position.
- When the instant pot beeps, do a 5 minute natural pressure release, which means manually release the pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps.
- Fluff the rice and let it rest for another 5 minutes.
- Cumin Rice is ready to be enjoyed with any curry or lentil.
- To simplify this recipe, you can skip the whole spices.
- You can double or triple the recipe, without any change in the cooking time.
- Be careful when adding the rice as there might be some splutters.
- You can garnish jeera rice with roasted nuts such as cashews.