Easy and Flavorful Coconut Shrimp Curry made in the Pressure Cooker in just 20 minutes. This is the simple Indian shrimp curry made with ginger, garlic, onions, tomatoes along with flavorful spices, and finished with coconut milk. Pair this curry with rice for a perfect experience. Gluten free, Paleo and Low carb!
This is one of those easiest curries to make when you want to impress someone and have less time to cook. The second reason also makes it a perfect dish to cook on a weekday in just 20 minutes. While the curry was cooking, I cooked white rice on the stovetop (can be done in a second instant pot or rice cooker) and dinner was served in no time.
Are you ready for this delicious Shrimp Curry? Let’s get started!
How to make Coconut Shrimp Curry in the Pressure Cooker?
The main thing to note in this recipe is that Shrimp cooks very quickly, so we will use the low pressure setting in the electric pressure cooker (instant potinstant pot in my case). We will cook the shrimp for 3 minutes on low pressure and then quick release the pressure manually to get perfectly cooked shrimp. I used tail-on deveined large raw frozen shrimp that I got from Costco. If you use a smaller size shrimp, decrease the cooking time.
The base of this curry is the same as many other Indian curries, with ginger, garlic, onions and tomatoes. I also add very basic spices which you will have in your pantry if you have done Indian cooking before. I have also provided links to Amazon for the spices in case you are new to them. However I highly recommend finding the nearest indian grocery store to get a much cheaper price 🙂
That said, even with the very simple preparation, this curry is such a flavor bomb with shrimp in it. This is a must try!
Garnish with some lime juice and cilantro, and enjoy over rice!
Doesn’t the curry look gorgeous. I am ready to eat this again, it is so easy to make!
Looking for more seafood instant pot recipes, check out this delicious Salmon Tikka Masala.
Blast from the past:
- Posted 3 months ago – Seviyan / Vermicelli Kheer
- Posted 6 months ago – Mom’s Chicken Curry
- Posted one year ago – Palak Tofu
Want to find easy Instant Pot Indian Recipes? Here are 23 Best Instant Pot Indian Recipes for you to try!
Coconut Shrimp Curry - Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
- Start the instant pot in Sauté mode and let it heat. Add oil, mustard seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add green chili, onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add tomato and spices. Mix and let it sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and shrimp to the pot. Stir and press cancel. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Start the instant pot in Manual or Pressure cook mode at low pressure for 3 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually.
- Stir in the lime juice and garnish with cilantro. Coconut Shrimp Curry is ready to be served. Enjoy with rice.
- Tip: Take the steel insert out of the instant pot, so the curry is not cooking more from residual heat.
- I used large raw deveined tail-on shrimp that were frozen for this recipe. If using smaller or already thawed shrimp, reduce pressure cooking time.
- We add less liquid in this curry as instant pot retains the liquid and less is needed to cook. If you like, you can add 1/4 cup coconut milk after the curry is cooked. The curry does get thicker as you refrigerate it.
- Which Green chili to use? I typically use Thai, Birdeye or Serrano Chili Pepper in my recipes. Don't forget to adjust to your taste.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Programmable Pressure Cooker.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.