This healthy satisfying Kachumber salad is so easy and refreshing. Made with chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and seasoned with spices, serve it as a side with any Indian food. It is vegan, oil-free, and gluten-free.
This no oil side salad is a staple in Indian families, especially during meals. It is the best way to add some raw veggies to your meal.
This easy salad is similar to pico de gallo. It uses simple chopped ingredients and basic spices, along with lemon juice to get the perfect crunchy salad.
If you enjoy this salad, you will love my Indian Cucumber Raita.
What is Kachumber?
Kachumber means a mixture or salad in Hindi. It is basically a cucumber, onion and tomato salad. Made with combining chopped veggies dressed with lemon juice and some spices.
It is traditionally served with dal and curries, You can also have it in burgers, sandwiches, as a dip with chips, and also can have it on top of Indian roasted papad.
Every bite of it is so refreshing and crunchy, it is a fantastic salad for anytime of the year.
Benefits of eating Kachumber
- Low in calories and good source of potassium
- Great for weight loss (oil-free, vegan, gluten-free)
- Consist of high amount of water content
- Veggies: You'll need chopped Cucumber, tomatoes, onion. For Cucumber: If using English or Persian cucumber, peel, and chop. If using regular cucumbers, slice lengthwise and scrape out seeds using a spoon. Then chop the cucumber.
- Spices: To season you'll need red chili powder, green chili pepper, cumin powder and salt. The spices can be adjusted to taste.
- Lime Juice: I like to use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Garnish: Cilantro leaves
How to make Kachumber?
Wash and chop cucumber, onion, tomatoes, green chili into small pieces.
In a bowl add all the chopped veggies, spices, cilantro and mix them well.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
Variations of Kachumber
There are so many different ways to make this salad you can play with it as you want, some of the variations are:
- Can add avocado
- Add cooked chickpeas
- Top with pomegranate seeds or roasted peanuts
- Add grated carrots or beets
- Add chaat masala for a tangier flavor.
- Can substitute vinegar instead of lime juice.
What to serve Kachumber with?
It is a perfect side dish with any Indian dish. Some of the recipes are:
Yes, you can prepare it in advance till chopping part and store it in the refrigerator. While serving, mix everything together along with the spices and lemon juice.
I will suggest making it fresh, so its crunchiness stays. But you can store it for a day in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Hope you enjoy this easy Kachumber salad with your next meal!
Kachumber (Indian Cucumber Salad)
- Wash and chop cucumber, onion, tomatoes, green chili pepper into small pieces.
- In a bowl, add all the chopped veggies, spices, cilantro and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.