Instant Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry is a creamy vegan curry, perfect for those busy weekdays. Made with staple pantry ingredients, this one-pot meal with pot-in-pot brown rice will make up for a perfect wholesome meal.
Healthy Vegan Curried Chickpeas
This coconut chickpea curry is a family favorite when it comes to Indian recipes made in the instant pot and my kids love it as it is mild in taste. It is like Chana Masala with coconut milk!
Did I tell you - this is a dump-and-go recipe? So that makes it my absolute favorite. I can get a healthy meal ready that the whole family loves without much effort on a weekday. The best win-win situation!
Chickpeas are also know as garbanzo beans and they are very nutritious. They provide you the right amount of protein, if you are following the vegan diet. Include them in your Meatless Monday dinners for a satisfying wholesome meal.
How to make Coconut Chickpea Curry in the Instant Pot?
Before starting to make this creamy coconut chickpea curry in Instant pot, make sure all the ingredients are ready. Luckily, this recipe calls for everyday pantry staples such as ginger, garlic, onions, tomatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk.
Also, keep ready the spices such as Garam masala, Ground turmeric, Kashimir red chili powder and ground cumin. If you are willing, I would highly recommend to make homemade Garam Masala. It adds so much flavor to this curry!
- Slit the green chilis, mince the garlic and ginger and chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Then add all the ingredients and spices powders in the Instant pot steel insert as listed in the recipe card except the coconut milk.
- Close the lid with the vent in sealing position.
- Set the Instant pot to bean/chili mode for 30 minutes on high pressure.
- Then when the pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. If the pressure is not released completely, then you can do a manual release.
- Open the instant pot and then add the coconut milk to the mixture and stir well.
- Then set the Instant pot on sauté mode and let the curry simmer for a few minutes or until it thickens and gives a creamy consistency.
- Once you get the desired consistency, switch off the Instant pot and garnish the chickpea curry with fresh cilantro leaves.
Enjoy this delicious Coconut Chickpea Curry. It is great over rice or with naan!
Make this curry even more nutritious by adding fresh greens like spinach or kale leaves.
We typically enjoy this Coconut Chickpea Curry with rice. Make pot-in-pot brown rice along with this Coconut Chickpea Curry. The cooking time for dry chickpeas and pot-in-pot brown rice matches perfectly.
Can I freeze this Chickpea Curry?
Yes, you can freeze this chickpea curry by storing it in air-tight containers up to 3 months.
You can also store this curry in the refrigerator for 4-5 days
Can I use canned Chickpeas?
Yes, you can use both dried and canned chickpeas to make this dish. Personally I prefer the dried ones to canned chickpeas. But, if you are in a hurry, then you can go for canned chickpeas.
- No soaking required.
- Add about 3 cups of canned chickpeas (about two 14oz cans)
- Add only 1 cup water for cooking.
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes when using canned chickpeas.
- For pot-in-pot rice, use white basmati rice as the cooking time matches with canned chickpeas.
Over rice: My preferred way. I cook pot-in-pot brown rice to have them ready at the same time. If using canned chickpeas, you can cook pot-in-pot white basmati rice. You can also enjoy this curry with quinoa, jasmine, or cauliflower rice.
With Naan: Serve this creamy chickpea curry as a side dish when pairing it up with naan. Also, add some onion rings to the plate for a crunchy and delicious dinner platter.
As a soup or part of vegan bowl: You can also serve this curry as a soup or part of the vegan burrito bowl.
Instant Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry
- 1 cup Coconut Milk canned
- Cilantro leaves chopped, to garnish
For pot-in-pot Brown Rice
- 1 cup Brown Basmati Rice
- 1 ¼ cup Water
- Add all the ingredients and spices in the order listed in the instant pot steel insert (exept from the to finish and rice group).
- (optional for pot-in-pot rice) Place the trivet. In a bowl, add ingredients for brown rice and place it on top of the trivet.
- Close the lid with vent in sealing position. Set the instant pot on bean/chili mode for 30 minutes on high pressure.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. If it is not released completely in 20 minutes, release the pressure manually and open the lid.
- (optional for pot-in-pot rice) Using tongs carefully take out the bowl of brown rice. Then take out the trivet.
- Add the coconut milk and stir well. Set the instant pot on saute mode and let the curry simmer for about 7-8 minutes. This will thicken the curry and give it a wonderful creamy consistency.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve over rice.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.