Easy and comforting Potato Curry in Tomato Gravy made in the Instant Pot. This North Indian Potato Curry is popularly known as Aloo Rasedar. Aloo means potato and Rasedar is a thin tomato gravy. This is a vegan and gluten free potato curry.
This is a no onion, no garlic recipe. This is real comfort food. What better if it can be made in just 20 minutes. Instant Pot to the rescue again. Serve it with poori or parathas for a delicious meal.
This is a curry that you don’t really need to plan much for. We typically have potatoes and tomatoes in the kitchen. They are standing items on the grocery list. So this curry is perfect for an unplanned weeknight dinner or with poori for a special weekend lunch.
I shared another Potato Curry which I learnt from my mother-in-law, Potato Curry in Yogurt Sauce (Dahi Vale Aloo), which is also a no onion, no garlic recipe that comes together in 20 minutes. This one is common in Central India and has a unique tangy taste. If you have baby potatoes and love spicy food, check out these tangy delish Spicy Bombay Potatoes.
How is Aloo Rasedar made traditionally?
Traditionally this potato curry is made by boiling potatoes, then peeling and cutting/mashing them. Separately in a pan, tempering is done with cumin seeds, ginger, tomato and spices. Then the boiled smashed potatoes mixed in along with water, and simmered for 10+ minutes.
I always like to make curries as a one-pot dish in the Instant Pot. So here is the method I used.
Easy step-by-step recipe for Potato Curry in Instant Pot
I skipped boiling the potatoes separately, and just added raw cut potatoes after the tempering.
Heat oil and saute cumin seeds, ginger, tomatoes and spices for about 3 minutes. We want the tomatoes to get soft and mushy.
Then add in the potato pieces and water. We are set to pressure cook, and have the potato curry ready once we quick release the pressure.
That was all, everyone! Isn’t this the easiest curry ever? Just a handful of spices, ginger, tomato and potato; and a delicious lip smacking curry is ready!
Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with paratha, naan or poori (puffed bread shown below).
Check out other easy curries that you can make in the Instant Pot:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Potato Curry in Tomato Gravy Recipe (Aloo Rasedar)
- Start the pressure cooker in Saute mode and let it heat. Add oil, cumin seeds, asafoetida and ginger. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and spices. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and water. Stir well. Press Cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Start on Manual/Pressure Cook mode at high pressure for 2 minutes. When the pressure cooker beeps, press cancel and quick release the pressure manually.
- Add garam masala and dry mango powder. Stir and mash some potatoes with the back of the ladle. This will help thicken the curry. If you like a thinner gravy, you can add some water and let it come to a boil on sauté mode.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with poori, naan or rice.
- This potato curry thickens as it cools. Before eating, add water as needed and heat the curry.
- For added flavor, you can also add kasoori methi when adding other spices.
- To reduce spice, skip or reduce the red chili powder.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Programmable Pressure Cooker.