Potato Curry in Yogurt Sauce or Dahi Vale Aloo – An easy and delicious comfort food with minimal ingredients made in the Instant Pot. This curry is made with just two main ingredients, potatoes and yogurt, tempered with cumin seeds, ginger and flavorful spices. Enjoy it with puri, paratha or rice for a satisfying meal.
I had never eaten these Dahi Vale Aloo while growing up. Recently one day my mom-in-law made these and I was amazed by the flavors. Guess what…I usually don’t even like potatoes in a curry. But this one…I must say is super flavorful and has converted me to like potatoes. If you like kadhi, this potato yogurt curry has similar flavors and I am sure you will enjoy it.
I love how easily and quickly this dish comes together. This curry does not have onion or garlic, and is great to enjoy while fasting. If you don’t have much veggies at home and want to make dinner quickly, this is the dish you are looking for!
Here is another Instant Pot Potato Curry in tomato based gravy, called Aloo Rasedar.
How are Dahi Vale Aloo made traditionally?
Here is my mom-in-law’s method to make this curry. She would boil potatoes first, then peel and cut them. Then in a pan add the tempering, spices, water and yogurt. Cook until it comes to a boil, then add the potatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
This method is great if you have boiled potatoes at hand or if you boil potatoes for your weekly meal prep. This potato curry will come together in 10 minutes if you have boiled potatoes.
Now I wanted to make this in the instant pot and as a one-pot dish. So here is the method I used.
How to make Dahi Wale Aloo in the Pressure Cooker?
I skipped boiling the potatoes separately, and just added raw cut potatoes after the tempering and pressure cooked them with some water. Then I did a quick release and added whisked yogurt while stirring continuously. That is all, garnish and Dahi Vale Aloo are ready to enjoy!
Some things to note:
- Use the Saute (Normal) setting on the instant pot. We don’t want to use the high setting as the spices can burn at high temperature.
- Whisk the yogurt well before adding to the curry.
- Stir continuously after adding yogurt until the curry comes to a boil, so that the yogurt does not curdle. Stir gently, so the potatoes don’t all get mushy.
- Add salt when the curry starts boiling after adding yogurt, so it does not curdle.
Check out recipes I have posted in the past:
- Posted 3 months ago – Mumbai Vada Pav / Potato Fritter Sliders
- Posted 6 months ago – Minestrone Soup
- Posted one year ago – Kala Chana / Black Chickpeas Curry
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
An easy and delicious comfort food with minimal ingredients made in the Instant Pot. Dahi Vale Aloo is made with just two main ingredients, potatoes and yogurt, tempered with cumin seeds, ginger and flavorful spices.
Start the pressure cooker in Saute (Normal) mode and let it heat. Add oil, cumin seeds, green chili pepper and minced ginger. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add spices. Mix them well with the oil and cook for 30 seconds.
Add potatoes, water and stir well. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
Start on Manual/Pressure Cook mode at high pressure for 1 minute. When the pressure cooker beeps, press cancel and quick release the pressure manually.
Start the instant pot in Sauté mode. Add yogurt while stirring. Keep stirring gently until the curry comes to a boil in about 3 minutes. Then turn off the pressure cooker. Add salt to taste and stir it.
Garnish with cilantro. Potatoes in yogurt sauce are ready to be enjoyed with roti, puri or pulao.
- To avoid curdling of yogurt in the curry, whisk it well before using. Keep stirring as you add yogurt and until the curry comes to a boil. We are also adding salt after the yogurt, so it does not curdle the yogurt.
- Note: I reduced yogurt to 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup water, as most readers are using very thick yogurt.
- For added flavor, you can also add kasoori methi when adding other spices.
- Green Chili Pepper: I typically use Thai, Birdeye or Serrano Chili Pepper in my recipes. Don't forget to adjust to your taste.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Programmable Pressure Cooker.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.