A simple and delicious veggie stir fry, perfect for weeknights – Aloo Gobi made in Instant Pot. This translates to Potato Cauliflower in english. Aloo is Potato and gobi is Cauliflower, so this is a Potatoes & Cauliflower Stir Fry cooked in onion, tomato, along with aromatic spices such a turmeric & garam masala.
Aloo Gobi is a typical punjabi veggie, you will find in every restaurant. It is so easy to make on the stovetop or in the pressure cooker. It just takes minutes to cook it and can be enjoyed with naan or paratha.
When made in the instant pot, the texture of the cauliflower is well cooked, so if you want al dente cauliflower, you can reduce the cooking time to 1 minute on low pressure or make it in a pan on the stovetop.
This is a great vegan and gluten free dish. If you are trying to reduce carbs or are on a keto diet, you can skip the potatoes.
How to make Aloo Gobi in the Pressure Cooker?
Here is a quick 1 minute video of how to cook Aloo Gobi in the Instant Pot:
You might notice that I don’t add any water while cooking Aloo Gobi. Yes, that is correct! The cauliflower usually has enough intrinsic water that gets released when it cooks. That water is enough to get the instant pot to pressure. However if you are worried, feel free to add 1/8 cup of water along with the cauliflower, especially if anything is stuck to the bottom of the pot while sauteing. It takes about 8-10 minutes for the ip to come to pressure and then 2 minutes of cooking on low pressure.
It is important to cut the potatoes smaller in size, so they get somewhat cooked while sauteing initially and then can get cooked in 2 minutes of low pressure. Another important thing is that this requires a quick release, otherwise the veggies will get overcooked.
Enjoy this easy and delicious Aloo Gobi with naan or paratha.
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
A healthy & delicious potato and cauliflower stir fry made in the instant pot. So easy and quick, takes just 20 minutes. Vegan & Gluten Free.
- 1 Cauliflower (Gobi) medium, rinsed & cut into florets (about 1.25 lbs or 4 cups)
- 1 Potato cut into small cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Green Chili Pepper slit into two (optional)
- 1/2 Onion small, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tomato large, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Dry Mango powder (Amchur) or Lemon juice
- Cilantro to garnish
Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and heat oil in it. Add cumin seeds and green chili. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add diced onions, ginger and garlic paste. Stir them.
Add chopped tomatoes and all spices. Add potato cubes and stir it all up. Saute for 2 minutes, so the potatoes are slightly cooked.
Add cauliflower florets and stir well. Scrape off anything stuck to the bottom of the pot. If needed, add 1/8 cup water to deglaze the pot. Press Cancel and close the instant pot lid.
Set the instant pot to MANUAL or pressure cook mode at low pressure for 2 minutes. It will take 8-10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure.
When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually.
Add the dry mango powder and garnish with cilantro. Aloo Gobi is ready to be served.
- If you are worried about making Aloo Gobi in the instant pot without adding water, add 1/8 cup of water along with the cauliflower.
- If you want a little more heat, add more cayenne or 1/2 tsp of garam masala.
- If you don't have dry mango powder, replace it with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Stove top variation: Follow the same steps, cook it covered with lid for 5 minutes, Then remove lid and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Low Carb or Keto Variation: Skip potatoes.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Pin it for later: