Bhindi Masala / Okra Stir Fry in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. A North Indian favorite - Okra cooked with onions, tomato, garlic and spices. Perfectly cooked with no slimy texture of okra. And guess what, ready in less than 20 minutes.
You can also call this okra recipe - Pyaaz waali Bhindi. Bhindi do pyaza, which is a popular dish in restaurants just means okra with double the quantity of onions. "do" means two in hindi and "pyaz" means onions.
There are many ways to prepare okra. You can fry it or oven roast it. You can make it as a stir fry or make it as a curry. Another way is to air fry stuffed okra, and have it as an appetizer with mint chutney. Here are three more ways to make okra Indian style - Kurkuri Bhindi (Crispy Fried Okra), Bharwa Bhindi (Stuffed Okra), Bhindi do pyaza & Oven Roasted Bhindi Masala.
Today I am sharing the simple okra with onions recipe made in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Okra cooks very quickly, hence we cook it on low pressure for only couple of minutes. This Bhindi Masala can be served with yogurt raita or lentil curry along with roti / naan.
How to make Bhindi Masala in Instant Pot
Fresh okra is best for this recipe, but you can use frozen okra when in a hurry. If using fresh okra, you want to wash it, and dry it completely before cutting. Too much moisture, makes the okra slimy and that is something no one likes.
Cut the okra in small equal size pieces and slice the onions. Heat oil in the instant pot and saute cumin seeds and garlic in it. Then add the sliced onions and saute for a few minutes till they slightly change color.
Now add the chopped tomato, spices, okra and a little water. Give it a good stir and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
Change the instant pot setting to cook on manual or pressure cook with low pressure for 2 minute. (On the Instant Pot DUO-60, you press the manual mode, then pressure to change the pressure setting).
One important thing is to add something tangy to the okra. Tanginess helps to remove the slime from okra. I added tanginess with tomato and dry mango powder or amchur. You can add lemon juice if you don't have dry mango powder.
This is it! Now when you open the instant pot, okra masala will be ready. Give it a gentle stir and serve with roti, naan or parathas, along with a side of yogurt made in the instant pot.
To make this recipe on stove top, check recipe notes.
Try out the Bhindi Masala and let me know how it turned out. You can also check out other Indian veggie recipes -
Instant Pot Bhindi Masala / Okra Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 3 cloves Garlic finely diced
- 1 Onion medium sliced
- 1 Tomato medium chopped
- 1 lb Okra (Bhindi) cut into equal ½-1" pieces
- 2 tablespoon Water
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Turmeric (Haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne or Red Chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mango powder (Amchur)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Heat the instant pot in saute mode and add oil to it. Add cumin seeds, garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, spices, okra and water. Mix well. (If your instant pot is prone to burn or if using an 8qt instant pot, add additional 2 tablespoons of water)
- Hit cancel and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position. Start the instant pot in Manual or Pressure cook mode for 2 minutes at low pressure.
- When the instant pot beeps, hit cancel and do a quick pressure release.
- Stir the okra gently. Leave open for 5 mins before eating.
- It is possible the instant pot may not come to pressure, but the okra is still cooking and will be ready in 2 minutes.
- If you don't have amchur, you can use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- On the Instant Pot DUO-60, you press the manual mode, then pressure to change the pressure setting.
- To make this bhindi masala on stove top in a pan, follow the same steps. In place of pressure cooking, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. Then open and cook on medium-low flame for 10 more minutes.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Love this recipe and will definitely make it again. I used a bag of frozen okra (and did not thaw it). Asides from that, followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious. Bhindis were not mushy. Thanks for the yummy recipe!
Piping Pot Curry says
Hi Monica - So happy to hear that. Thank you for sharing it back 🙂
Piping Pot Curry says
Hi Monica - So good to hear that 🙂
Can I use frozen okra in the recipe?
Meeta Arora says
Hi Jasmine - I have not tried with frozen bhindi. I would defrost it, then remove extra moisture and use it in the recipe. I would love to hear how it turns out if you try.
Tried this today in the IP and followed your instructions to the T! What a life saver this recipe is.. no more cooking okra for 30+ mins in an open pan! Thank you Meeta!!! ❤️
Meeta Arora says
Hi Akshara - So glad to hear you you liked the okra recipe!
Does cooking the okra (bhindi) in the instant pot keep it from getting slimy? Even when you say "mix well?" I would have to use frozen okra, but I always defrost it first.
Meeta Arora says
I have included some tips, so that the okra does not become slimy. You want to mix such that the spices are mixed with the okra. Especially the sour ingredients such as tomato and dry mango powder. You can also make this recipe in a pan. I have included details in the recipe notes.