Delicious & healthy Baked Bhindi Masala is made with Oven Roasted Okra cooked with onions, tomatoes and aromatic spices. This baked okra is wonderful vegan & gluten-free side dish.
I am a fan of quick and easy to make recipes. You might have guessed with all the Under 30 minutes recipes I have posted in the last 2 years. This sheet pan baked okra with onions and tomatoes perfectly fits the bill!
My family loves okra. Oh…Did you know okra is called lady’s finger in India? Okra is called Bhindi in Hindi.
I make a variety of Indian okra recipes such as this Bhindi Masala, Stuffed Okra (Bharwa Bhindi) and this Crispy Fried Okra (Kurkuri Bhindi). So I tried this new way of baking okra on a sheet pan along with onions, tomatoes and spices. It was a delicious & healthy way to enjoy okra.
If you are an okra lover too, then give these easy recipes a try!
How to make Oven Roasted Okra (Baked Bhindi)?
- Start with getting the ingredients ready. These are mostly simple everyday ingredients that you might have in your pantry.
- Wash and pat dry the okra. Then cut it into equal size rounds.
- Add onions, garlic, oil & spices to the cut okra. Mix it all well, so all the okra is coated with the spices.
- Chop a tomato, but don’t mix it in with the okra.
- Now spread the seasoned okra in a single layer on a sheet pan. I used a parchment paper to simplify the cleanup after baking. Keep the tomatoes in a separate parchment paper on the same baking sheet.
- I tried baking and broiling the okra. I preferred the taste of the baked okra. Bake at 425˚F for about 20-25 minutes.
- You want the okra to be well cooked & browned, but not burnt.
- Now transfer the okra and tomatoes to a bowl. Mix them all up and add dry mango powder (amchur). This adds a wonderful tangy flavor to the okra. You can also use lime powder or lime juice in place of dry mango powder. Baked Bhindi Masala is ready to be served!
Serve okra with roti, naan or just enjoy as a snack. Above is my dinner plate with roti and raita after I made this delicious baked okra.
I hope you enjoy this super easy baked okra too!
Baked Crispy Bhindi | Oven Roasted Okra Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Wash okra and then pat dry with a kitchen towel. Slice the okra into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic, oil and spices into the bowl. Mix it all well so the okra and onions are coated with spices.
- Prepare a heavy-duty baking sheet by lining with foil or parchment paper. Spread out the spiced okra across the baking tray in a single layer.
- In a small parchment paper or foil, add the diced tomatoes and place them on the baking tray (see picture)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. You want the okra to be well cooked & browned, but not burnt.
- Now transfer the okra and tomatoes to a bowl. Mix them all up and add dry mango powder (amchur). You can also use lime powder or lime juice in place of dry mango powder.
- Serve okra with naan, roti or enjoy as a snack.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.