Two main ingredients with some spices. Less than 15 minutes and a quick 4-step recipe. Let me present Aloo Beans or Indian Green Beans Curry with Potatoes made in Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. This is a vegan & gluten free recipe, perfect for a vegetable side dish!
This is such an easy recipe that I did not even bother to show the steps! This is the simple North Indian Green Beans subzi recipe, where we don’t add onions or tomatoes while cooking green beans. We simply add tempering with cumin seeds and some basic spices.
Green Beans Nutrition
We usually find green beans in the produce section of the local store and treat them as part of the vegetable family. However in a more science-based context, green beans rightfully belong in the beans & legumes family. They have a very similar nutritional profile to legumes, such as they both provide concentrated amounts of fiber, folate, and numerous minerals. A one-cup serving of cooked green beans provides about 45 calories and 10 grams of carbs.
Tips to make Potato & Green Beans in Instant Pot
- We add very little water when making this dish, as we want a dry stir fry kind of result.
- Pressure cook for just 2 minutes and then quick release the pressure, so that the potatoes and beans don’t overcook.
- I added both green beans and potatoes to this recipe. To make it paleo, you can skip the potatoes and make only green beans.
- You can certainly make this in a sauce pan. Just allow few extra minutes for cooking. Cover with a lid, which will help to expedite the cooking.
If you like this recipe, do check out other Indian vegetable recipes made in the Instant Pot:
- Aloo Matar (Potato & Green Peas Curry)
- Aloo Gobi (Potato & Cauliflower Curry)
- Patta Gobi Matar (Cabbage & Peas Curry)
- Aloo Simla Mirch (Potato & Bell Pepper Curry)
Aloo Beans / Indian Green Beans Recipe - Instant Pot & Stovetop
For Instant Pot Method
- Start the instant pot in sauté mode, heat it and then add oil. Heating the pot first helps later, so the veggies don't stick to the bottom. Then add cumin seeds, garlic and green chili.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped green beans, potatoes and water. Add spices except dry mango powder and mix well. If anything is stuck to the bottom of the pot, scrape it off.
- Close the instant pot lid, and change setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 2 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, release the pressure after 5 minutes of the beep. (Note: Quick release also works well for this recipe to retain the color of the green beans)
- Mix in the dry mango powder. If there is any water, change the setting to saute mode and get it to your desired consistency. Aloo Beans are ready to be served with roti or naan.
For Stovetop Method
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add oil to it. Then add cumin seeds, garlic and green chili. Saute for a few seconds.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped green beans, potatoes and water. Add spices except dry mango powder and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid, and cook on medium-low heat until the potatoes and green beans are cooked and tender. This will take about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix in the dry mango powder. If there is any remaining liquid, then cook uncovered for a couple of minutes. Aloo Beans are ready to be served with roti or naan.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.