A simple Cabbage & Peas Stir Fry made in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Cabbage and Green Peas cooked with garlic, tomato and spices. Vegan and gluten-free. This dish can be made low carb/keto friendly by skipping green peas.
This Indian style Cabbage & Green Peas stir fry is very similar to the Ethiopian Cabbage dish, Atakilt Wat, which is made with cabbage, carrots and potatoes. In Hindi, we call this Patta Gobi Matar or Band Gobi Matar ki Subzi. Stir Fried veggies are called Subzi in Hindi. Patta Gobi and Band Gobi are two names for Cabbage and Matar is Green Peas. We usually eat it with roti/naan and a cup of lentils or yogurt.
Recently I have been making a lot of dry stir fry kind of veggies in the instant pot – Okra Masala, Bell Pepper & Potato Stir Fry, Green Beans & Potato. I love it that I can make them quicker and easier without much monitoring in the instant pot.
These stir fry dishes are great if you are new to Indian cooking. They are very easy to make. They are mostly stir fried with onions and/or tomatoes and some spices. So if you know one, you can pretty much start substituting with other veggies and doing your own variations. Most of them are also Vegan and Gluten-free.
Preparing Cabbage & Peas Stir Fry in Instant Pot
I used green cabbage for this subzi. Chop the cabbage. You don’t have to chop it very small, as it will get cooked and reduce in size anyway. I used frozen green peas in this recipe. Only other ingredient to chop is one tomato. This is all the prep required for this dish. Have your spice box handy.
Heat oil in the instant pot in sauté mode. Add mustard seeds and garlic. When the mustard seeds pop, add the chopped tomato. Then add the spices and mix well with the tomatoes.
Add in the cabbage and green peas. Stir well so the spices mix with the cabbage. Now change the instant pot setting to cook on manual low pressure for 2 minutes.
I get this question a lot – “No water to be added? Doesn’t the instant pot need water to come to pressure“. The answer is that most of these veggies have a lot of intrinsic water that they release when we cook them. This water is enough to cook them. We are also cooking for very less time. Hence additional water is not needed in most of these stir fry dishes. Sometimes I suggest 1/8 cup of water, especially if you are using newer models of instant pot which are more sensitive.
When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. If there is residual liquid, you can dry that up in saute mode. Notice the residual liquid even when we did not add any water to pressure cook cabbage 🙂
Try this simple comfort veggie, Cabbage & Peas Stir Fry and let me know how it turned out. You can also check out other Indian veggie recipes – Bell Pepper & Potato Stir Fry, Green Beans and Potato Stir Fry and Okra Stir Fry.
Cabbage & Peas Stir Fry / Patta Gobi Matar - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Start the instant pot in Saute mode and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds, garlic and saute for 30 seconds until the mustard seeds start to splutter.
- Add chopped tomato and spices. Mix well.
- Add chopped cabbage and green peas. Stir well so the spices mix with the cabbage. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot. If there is, add 2-3 tbsp of water, and deglaze the pot.
- Close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position. Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at low pressure for 2 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Stir the cabbage.
- (optional) Add the dry mango powder and mix it with the cabbage. If there is any liquid, you can dry it by sauteing for 2 minutes.
- Enjoy Cabbage & Peas Stir Fry with roti and yogurt.
- This recipe was created in a 6 qt Duo 60 Instant Pot. If using an 8 qt or a newer model of instant pot which are more sensitive o burn issues, add 1/4 cup of water before pressure cooking.
- If you want a little more heat, add more cayenne or 1/2 tsp of garam masala.
- If you don't have dry mango powder, replace it with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Stove-top Variation: Follow the same steps, cook it covered with lid for 5 minutes, Then remove lid and cook it for 10 minutes.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.