This Roasted Aloo Gobi is so good! All you need to do is toss cauliflower and potatoes in spices, and roast in the air fryer or oven, and you have the perfect Indian veggie dish. No mushy cauliflower and it takes less than 20 minutes to put together!
Aloo Gobi is one of the most popular and favorite Indian dishes, and rightly made very popular by movies like Bend it like Beckham.
I have shared my Instant Pot version of Aloo Gobi long back, but nowadays, whenever I say that we will have Aloo Gobi for lunch, my daughter immediately calls out “Mama, make it in the air fryer!”
My older daughter absolutely loves it, and even the baby enjoys the roasted cauliflower. And I don’t mind it as it is so quick and healthy too.
Sometimes, if you are not careful when making it on the stovetop, you might end up cooking it too much, which will make the stir-fry mushy. No more mushy cauliflower now!
The crispy cauliflower and potatoes are so good that you might just end up eating them as an appetizer even before dinner starts.
Table of Contents
What is Aloo Gobi?
Aloo gobi is a simple and most loved Indian stir-fry cooked with spices, onions, and tomatoes. It is vegan & gluten-free. You will find Aloo Gobi enjoyed as a simple home-cooked meal by many in India, and it is also a restaurant favorite dish!
Typically, Aloo Gobi is cooked in a pan on the stovetop as a stir fry. However, today I am sharing the Roasted Aloo Gobi method.
If you love roasting veggies in the air fryer, check out this collection for 25+ Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes.
- Cauliflower: Use a medium-sized cauliflower. Rinse and cut into medium-sized florets.
- Potato: I used russet potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes will also work well. Peel and cut into small cubes. I added about a cup of potatoes, but add more if you would like to have more potatoes in your aloo gobi.
- Onion: I used sliced yellow onions. These are optional, so skip them if you prefer aloo gobi without any onions.
- Tomato: I like to add a little chopped tomato, as it adds to the flavor of the final dish.
- Oil: I used avocado oil.
- Garlic powder: I like the convenience of using garlic powder when cooking in the air fryer. Feel free to add fresh ginger if you prefer.
- Spices: We will use basic spices such as turmeric, coriander, cumin, and red chili powder.
- Lime juice: A sprinkle of lime juice at the end enhances the taste of the whole dish.
- Cilantro: Use freshly chopped cilantro leaves for garnishing.
How to make Roasted Aloo Gobi in Air Fryer?
Get started by first chopping up the potatoes into small cubes and a medium-sized cauliflower into small florets. Keep the potato cubes a bit smaller in size than the cauliflower florets.
Also, chop the onions and tomatoes needed for this stir-fry. You can make this dish even without the onions and tomatoes, but we loved the taste and the pop of color that they added to this dish.
- First, take a large bowl enough to hold all the veggies and make sure you have the room needed to mix all these vegetables.
- Add the spices – garlic powder, ground cumin, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander, and salt. I used garlic powder here, but you can also use fresh minced garlic.
- Mix all them of well together till all cauliflower florets and potato cubes are coated with spices evenly.
- Then, transfer the spiced cauliflower and potatoes to the air-fryer basket and spread them in a single layer.
- Air-fry them at 380°F for 12-15 minutes or till they get your desired crispiness.
- Transfer the stir-fry from the air-fryer basket to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle lime juice and mix them well. You can also add a bit of salt or other spices as you like after adding the lime juice. But make sure you mix them well.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and enjoy with roti, naan, or rice.
How to make Aloo Gobi in the Oven?
Follow the above steps to prepare the aloo gobi.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the spiced cauliflower and potatoes in a baking tray or a large oven-safe ceramic baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake them for 25-30 minutes or until they are crispy on the outside and cooked well inside. Test using a fork.
- Then sprinkle lime juice and adjust the spices as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy this Indian spiced roasted cauliflower and potato.
Tips to make the Best Aloo Gobi:
- Cut the potato cubes a bit smaller than the cauliflower florets for even cooking
- Don’t overlap or crowd the potatoes and cauliflower and spread them in a single layer for even cooking
- Adjust your air-fryer cooking time as needed because every air-fryer works a bit differently.
- I skipped adding ginger for this recipe, but if you want you can add grated ginger along with the spice powders while mixing all the ingredients together.
- You can also use minced garlic instead of garlic powder in this recipe.
Enjoy this Aloo Gobi made in the air fryer!
Roasted Aloo Gobi (Indian Spiced Potato & Cauliflower)
- 1 Cauliflower (Gobi), medium, rinsed & cut into florets (about 1.25 lbs or 4 cups)
- 1 Potato, peeled, cut into small cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup Onion , sliced
- 1/2 cup Tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoon Oil , I used Avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
- Cilantro leaves, chopped, to garnish
- In a large bowl, add the cauliflower florets, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, oil and all spices. Mix until well combined.
Air Fryer Method
- Transfer the spiced cauliflower and potatoes to the air fryer basket. Make sure they are spread in a single layer.
- Air Fryer at 380F for 12-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the lime juice and mix. Adjust salt, and spices to your liking.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spread the spiced cauliflower and potatoes on a baking tray or a large oven-safe ceramic baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are well cooked and tender inside. Sprinkle the lime juice and adjust spices. Transfer to serving bowl and enjoy.