This Roasted Aloo Gobi is so good! All you need to do is toss cauliflower and potatoes in spices, and roast in the air-fryer or oven, and you have the perfect Indian veggie dish. No mushy cauliflower and takes less than 20 minutes to put together!
Aloo Gobi is one of the most popular and favorite Indian dishes, and rightly made very popular by movies like Bend it like Beckham.
I have shared my Instant pot version of Aloo Gobi long back, but nowadays, whenever I say that we will have Aloo Gobi for lunch, my daughter immediately calls out "Mama, make it in the air fryer!"
My older daughter is absolutely in love with it and even the baby enjoys the roasted cauliflower. And I don't mind it as it is so quick and healthy too.
Sometimes, if you are not careful when making it on the stovetop, you might end up cooking them too much, which will turn the stir-fry mushy. No more mushy cauliflower now!
The crispy cauliflower and potatoes are so good that you might just end up eating them as an appetizer even before dinner starts.
What is Aloo Gobi?
Aloo gobi is a simple and most loved Indian stir-fry that is cooked with spices, onions, and tomatoes. It is vegan & gluten-free. You will find Aloo Gobi enjoyed as a simple home cooked meal by many in India, and it is also a restaurant favorite dish!
Typically Aloo Gobi is cooked on the stovetop in a pan as a stir fry. However here I am sharing the Roasted Aloo Gobi method.
How to make Roasted Aloo Gobi in Air Fryer?
Get started by first chopping up the potatoes into small cubes and a medium-sized cauliflower into small florets. Keep the potato cubes a bit smaller in size than the cauliflower florets.
Also, chop the onions and tomatoes needed for this stir-fry. You can make this dish even without the onions and tomatoes, but we loved the taste and the pop of color that they added to this dish.
- First, take a large bowl enough to hold all the veggies and make sure you have the room needed to mix all these vegetables.
- Add the spices - garlic powder, ground cumin, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander, and salt. I used garlic powder here, but you can also use fresh minced garlic.
- Mix all them of well together till all cauliflower florets and potato cubes are coated with spices evenly.
- Then, transfer the spiced cauliflower and potatoes to the air-fryer basket and spread them in a single layer.
- Air-fry them at 380°F for 12-15 minutes or till they get your desired crispiness.
- Remove the stir-fry from the air-fryer basket and transfer them to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle lime juice and mix them well. You can also add a bit of salt or other spices as you like after you have added the lime juice. But, make sure you mix them well.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and enjoy with roti, naan, or rice.
How to make Aloo Gobi in the oven?
Follow the above steps for prepping the aloo gobi.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the spiced cauliflower and potatoes in a baking tray or a large oven-safe ceramic baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake them for 25-30 minutes or until they are crispy on the outside and cooked well inside. Test using a fork.
- Then sprinkle lime juice and adjust the spices as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy this Indian spiced roasted cauliflower and potato.
Tips to make the Best Aloo Gobi:
- Cut the potato cubes a bit smaller than the cauliflower florets for even cooking
- Don't overlap or crowd the potatoes and cauliflower and spread them in a single layer for even cooking
- Adjust your air-fryer cooking time as needed, because every air-fryer works a bit differently.
- I skipped adding ginger for this recipe, but if you want you can add grated ginger along with the spice powders while mixing all the ingredients together.
- You can also use minced garlic instead of garlic powder in this recipe.
Enjoy this Aloo Gobi made in the air fryer!
Here are other air fryer recipes you might enjoy!
Roasted Aloo Gobi (Indian Spiced Potato & Cauliflower)
- 1 Cauliflower (Gobi) medium, rinsed & cut into florets (about 1.25 lbs or 4 cups)
- 1 Potato peeled, cut into small cubes (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup Onion sliced
- ½ cup Tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoon Oil I used Avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
- Cilantro leaves chopped, to garnish
- In a large bowl, add the cauliflower florets, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, oil and all spices. Mix until well combined.
Air Fryer Method
- Transfer the spiced cauliflower and potatoes to the air fryer basket. Make sure they are spread in a single layer.
- Air Fryer at 380F for 12-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the lime juice and mix. Adjust salt, and spices to your liking.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spread the spiced cauliflower and potatoes on a baking tray or a large oven-safe ceramic baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are well cooked and tender inside. Sprinkle the lime juice and adjust spices. Transfer to serving bowl and enjoy.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.