Idli is the quintessential south indian breakfast. This savory rice cake made by steaming a batter consisting of lentils and rice, is the most comforting healthy indian breakfast. Learn how to make perfect soft and fluffy idli in the instant pot!
Being a north indian and not growing up making idli’s from scratch at home, I used to have a hard time getting the batter right. Sometimes it would not ferment and rise enough. But guess what…the instant pot comes to the rescue here too.
How to make Idli Batter in the Instant Pot?
The idli’s will be soft and fluffy if the batter is fermented well. It does take some practice to get the batter right.
I have shared all my tips and tricks to make the perfect batter in this detailed Idli Dosa Batter post.
Do check out the detailed tips when making the batter.
How to make Steamed Idli in Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker?
Once the batter is ready. You grease the idli molds with ghee or oil. Then add small amount of batter in each mold. While you are doing this, add 1.5 cups of water to the instant pot and let it boil in Saute mode.
Place the idli stand in the instant pot and cook it in steam mode in venting position. The thing to note is that the time on the instant pot does not work in the venting position, so you have to use a separate timer. In 12 minutes, the idli will be ready.
The idli’s are so soft and fluffy. These are my family’s favorite meal.
I also use the same batter to make perfect crispy dosa. Just thin out the batter to a thick flowing consistency by adding some water. Adjust salt and make crispy dosa!
Hope you enjoy these soft idli’s. Do share how they turn out in comments or on Instagram with #pipingpotcurry
Instant Pot Idli
- Idli Stand
- 2 cups Idli Batter
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- Ghee or Oil, for greasing
- Make idli batter following the instructions in the post.
- Add water to the instant pot and heat it in saute mode until it boils. The press cancel.
- While the water is heating, grease the idli molds with oil or ghee. Add small amount of batter in each mold.
- Place the idli stand in the instant pot. Close lid and keep in steam mode in venting position, and press start. The thing to note is that the time on the instant pot does not work in the venting position, so you have to use a separate timer. (Some new models of instant pot have a no pressure setting for steam mode, which can be used)
- In 12 minutes, idli's will be ready. Press Cancel and wait for the pin to drop (so that any pressure is released), then open the instant pot.
- Idli's can be served with sambar and chutney. You can make multiple batches of idli with the same batter.