Upma is a regular breakfast in South India. Upma can be made with rava, oats or vermicelli. You can make it with or without vegetables. I prefer to make upma with vegetables. This recipe will show how to make vermicelli upma in an instant pot. It is very nutritious, and the best part is that the preparation is very quick and easy.
Roasting Seviyan for Upma
I used roasted Bambino vermicelli to make this upma, but you can use any other brand too. It is very easily available at Indian stores or even on Amazon. If you don’t have roasted vermicelli, you can also roast it yourself. Just add a teaspoon of ghee or oil in a pan and roast the vermicelli until it turns golden brown.
How to make Seviyan Upma in Instant Pot
This recipe starts with sautéing mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies and garlic. Then adding in the onions and green peas to the upma this time. You can add different vegetables each time you prepare to get some variation – green peas, carrots, bell peppers, onions. You can also add peanuts or cashews to the upma. Finally adding in the roasted vermicelli and water to cook on manual mode in Instant Pot.
Serve this vermicelli upma with chutney or tea or just by itself. I always look forward to a weekend breakfast of vermicelli upma with some ginger tea.
Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma (Seviyan Upma)
- Start instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add rai, kadi patta, garlic and green chili.
- Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add green peas and sauté for another minute.
- Add the roasted vermicelli, salt and water. Change the instant pot setting to manual mode for 1 minute.
- When the instant pot beeps, do 5 minute natural pressure release, which means release pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps. Remove the steel insert from the instant pot and fluff the vermicelli with a fork.
- Add the lemon juice to the upma. Vermicelli upma is ready to be served as breakfast.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.