Vegetable Rava Upma / Rava Khichdi made in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Rava Upma is an easy and popular South Indian breakfast. Rava Upma is a thick porridge made from dry roasted semolina, cooked along with various vegetables and seasonings. This is a delicious and warm breakfast, a great way to start the day along with a hot cup of coffee/tea.
Upma is a popular dish served in many South Indian and Maharashtrian restaurants. Rava is also called Sooji, Semolina or Cream of wheat. Although it is a classic breakfast, there is no doubt it can be a nutritious lunch or dinner too. Other popular south indian breakfast dishes are Vermicelli/Seviyan Upma and Steamed Idli.
I love to make this in the morning, when I am craving warm breakfast with my tea. It takes just 15 minutes to make and I also get some veggies for a good start to the day!
How to make Sooji Upma in the Instant Pot?
I usually buy roasted semolina, and skip the effort to roast it each time I am making upma or halwa. Some people like to buy Semolina and roast it in bulk themselves and store in airtight containers. Having roasted semolina reduces the cooking time drastically for making upma. This recipe is created with store brought roasted semolina.
Start with sauteing the veggies for a couple of minutes. Then add the rava and water. Cook on pressure cook mode for 1 minute. That is it! Quick and easy 🙂
I like the upma to be dry and not sticking in the mouth when eating. I also add a variety of vegetables to make this a more nutritious breakfast. You can vary the veggies used or skip them completely, depending on your taste buds.
I like to enjoy Rava Upma with Coconut or Mint Chutney. My hubby is from Central India, where sev or bhujia is very popular. He loves to sprinkle some sev on the upma to get a crunch when enjoying upma.
Rava / Sooji Upma in Instant Pot
- 1 cup Semolina (Sooji/Rava), roasted, thick
- 2 tablespoon Ghee or Oil
- 1 Green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger
- 2 Carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup Green peas , fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cashews, roasted
- 3 cups Water, heated in microwave
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice , to drizzle
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and let it heat. Add oil and all the tempering ingredients.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add green chili, onions and ginger. Saute for 2 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, peas, salt, sugar and cashews. Stir well. If you are adding different veggies that take longer to cook, then saute them for a few minutes.
- Add roasted rava and water. Stir it all up and scrape if anything is stuck to the bottom. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change setting to MANUAL or pressure cook mode for 2 min. The pin may or may not come up, but the upma will still be cooked in this time.
- When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure. Take the stainless steel insert out of the pot.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and mix. Cover with a glass or other lid. Let the upma rest for 5 minutes. (This is an important step to let the upma not be mushy and soak up all liquid)
- Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy upma with chutney!