Love Mushrooms? This is going to be your new favorite – Easy, healthy & delicious Mushroom Rice Pilaf. A flavorful one-pot dish with just 5 main ingredients. It is perfect to make on a weeknight and enjoy as a side or even as a whole meal. Even better, make it on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
Brown Rice cooked with onions, garlic and lots of mushrooms. Topped with green onions…oh so delicious! This is also a vegan and gluten free dish.
This pilaf can be made with white or brown rice. If you love mushrooms, you will love this easy variation to having plain rice. It is perfect for entertaining or to pack for a quick easy lunch.
This Mushroom Rice can easily be made ahead and heated just before serving.
How to make Mushroom Rice Pilaf?
Gather the ingredients, slice the mushrooms and dice the onions. I used cremini mushrooms, but other varieties of mushroom would work too.
We will sauté half of the mushrooms and take them out to top on the pilaf at the end. This gives a crunchy taste of the mushrooms. Of course, you could also simply cook them all with the rice. But I like the sautéed crunchy mushrooms on the rice when serving.
We will then add some oil, and sauté onions, garlic along with the rest of the mushrooms. The mushrooms will first release water, let the liquid dry and brown the mushrooms. Then add in the rice and broth. I like to cook the mushrooms with the rice, so the rice can soak in the amazing flavors of the mushrooms.
When cooking this pilaf, I don’t soak the brown rice. Just rinse them until the water runs clear. However if you prefer you can soak the rice in warm water for an hour. It helps to reduce the cooking time for brown rice.
This was so good, each grain separate and perfectly cooked. We enjoyed it as our lunch and two of us finished it all. I like to sprinkle some lemon juice to get a slight tangy taste to the pilaf.
Why you will love this Mushroom Rice?
- It is vegan and gluten free
- Easy to make
- It can be made with white rice
- Includes healthy mushrooms and can add other veggies too!
- To make this cheesy, add parmesan or cheddar at the end after pressure cooking
One-Pot Brown Rice & Mushroom Pilaf
For Instant Pot
- 1 1/4 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
To garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp Butter (optional) skip butter to keep this vegan
- 1/4 cup Green onions diced
- Rinse brown rice and keep them ready for cooking.
For Instant Pot:
- Start the instant pot in Sauté mode and let it heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, half the mushrooms and sprinkle some salt. Cook them for about 4 minutes until they brown. Take out and keep them aside. We will add these in at the end.
- Now add 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic and onions to the instant pot. Sauté for 2 mins. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 3-4 minutes until they brown.
- Add brown rice, vegetable broth and salt. Stir and deglaze the pot. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Select Manual or Pressure cook mode for 22 mins at high pressure. When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Add back in the mushrooms kept aside. Add in the optional tbsp of butter and mix well. Top with green onions and enjoy!
For Stovetop in a pot:
- Heat oil in a medium-large pot over high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, half the mushrooms and sprinkle some salt. Cook them for about 4 minutes until they brown. Take out and keep them aside. We will add these in at the end.
- Now add 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic and onions to the pot. Sauté for 2 mins. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally until they brown.
- Add brown rice, vegetable broth and salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 35-40 minutes. Stir in between starting at about 25 mins.
- When rice is done, add back in the mushrooms kept aside. Add in the optional tbsp of butter and mix well. Top with green onions and enjoy!
- I used cremini mushrooms, but regular white button mushrooms will work too.
- I made this pilaf with short grain brown rice. Long grain brown rice will work too.
- White basmati or jasmine rice will also work, however reduce the cooking time depending on the rice you choose. I cook white rice for 4 minutes at high pressure with 10 minute natural pressure release in the instant pot.
- I have used Better Than Bullion base to make broth. It is just easier to keep at hand for all my cooking. You may want to skip adding salt if using it.
- I like to sprinkle some lime juice just before enjoying mushroom pilaf in the bowl.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
If you like this recipe, you might also like –