Love Mushrooms? This is going to be your new favorite – Easy, healthy & delicious Brown Rice Mushroom Pilaf. A flavorful one-pot dish with just 5 ingredients. It is perfect to make on a weeknight and enjoy as a side or as a meal. Even better, make it on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
Brown Rice cooked with onions, garlic and lots of mushrooms. Topped with green onions…oh so delicious! This Mushroom Rice a vegan and gluten-free dish.
This mushroom pilaf can be made with white or brown rice. If you love mushrooms, you will love this easy variation in place of plain rice.
It is the best mushroom and rice recipe. Perfect for entertaining or to pack for a quick easy lunch.
Why you will love this Mushroom Rice?
- It is vegan and gluten free
- Easy to make
- It can be made with white rice or brown rice
- Includes healthy mushrooms and can add other veggies too!
- To make this cheesy, add parmesan or cheddar at the end after pressure cooking
This recipe uses very basic ingredients. slice the mushrooms, peel the garlic, and dice the onions.
Mushrooms: I used cremini mushrooms, but other varieties of mushroom would work too. Wash and dry the mushrooms with a paper towel or kitchen cloth. Then slice them.
Rice: You can use any brown rice (not the quick cooking ones) – basmati or jasmine. You can also switch to use white rice in this recipe. Note the different cooking time for white rice. I don’t soak the rice. Just rinse them until the water runs clear. However if you prefer you can soak the rice in warm water for an hour. It helps to reduce the cooking time for rice.
Onions: I used yellow onions. Dice them finely.
Garlic: Peel and mince the garlic.
Olive oil: Needed to sauté the onions and mushrooms.
Broth: I used vegetable broth, but chicken broth would work too. I have used Better Than Bullion base to make broth. It is just easier to keep at hand for all my cooking. You may want to skip adding salt if using it.
Green onions: These are optional. Only for garnish. You can garnish with cilantro or parsley too.
How to make Mushroom Rice Pilaf?
Sauté Mushrooms & Keep aside
This is an optional step. Sauté half of the mushrooms and take them out to top on the pilaf at the end. This gives a crunchy taste of the mushrooms. Of course, you could also simply cook them all with the rice. But I like the sautéed crunchy mushrooms on the rice when serving.
Cook Mushroom Rice
We will then add some oil, and sauté onions, garlic along with the rest of the mushrooms. The mushrooms will first release water, let the liquid dry and brown the mushrooms.
Then add in the rice and broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 35-40 minutes until there is no residual liquid. Stir in between starting at about 25 mins. (If using white rice, cook for 15 minutes)
I like to cook the mushrooms with the rice, so the rice can soak in the amazing flavors of the mushrooms.
Instant Pot Method
Follow the same steps in the stovetop method. The amount of broth used reduced when cooking in the instant pot, as it needs less liquid to cook in the closed pressure cooker.
Pressure cook for 22 minutes on high pressure (4 minutes for white rice). Then release the pressure 10 minutes after the beep.
This was so good, each grain separate and perfectly cooked. We enjoyed it as our lunch and two of us finished it all. I like to sprinkle some lemon juice to get a slight tangy taste to the pilaf.
Mushrooms: Don’t slice the mushrooms too thin as they might disintegrate when cooking with the rice.
Veggies: You can add green peas to this pilaf too. I like to use frozen peas and add them at the end when the rice is almost cooked. For the instant pot method, after the pressure cooking is done, add the peas, and close the lid, and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
Storage: You can store the mushroom rice in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Reheat the rice in the microwave.
What to serve with Mushroom Rice?
Hope you enjoy this easy, healthy mushroom brown rice pilaf!
If you love mushrooms, don’t forget to check out these recipes:
Brown Rice Mushroom Pilaf
For Instant Pot
- 1 1/4 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
To garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Butter , (optional) skip butter to keep this vegan
- 1/4 cup Green onions , diced
- Rinse brown rice and set aside.
For Instant Pot:
- Start the instant pot in Sauté mode and let it heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, half the mushrooms and sprinkle some salt. Cook them for about 4 minutes until they brown. Take out and keep them aside. We will add these in at the end.
- Now add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic and onions to the instant pot. Sauté for 2 mins. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 3-4 minutes until they brown.
- Add brown rice, vegetable broth and salt. Stir and deglaze the pot. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Select Manual or Pressure cook mode for 22 mins at high pressure (or 4 minutes for white rice). When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Add back in the mushrooms kept aside. Add in the optional tbsp of butter and mix well. Top with green onions and enjoy!
For Stovetop in a pot:
- Heat oil in a medium-large pot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, half the mushrooms and sprinkle some salt. Cook them for about 4 minutes until they brown. Take out and keep them aside. We will add these in at the end.
- Now add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic and onions to the pot. Sauté for 2 mins. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally until they brown.
- Add brown rice, vegetable broth and salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 35-40 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in between starting at about 25 mins. (Cook covered for 15 minutes for white rice)
- When rice is done, add back in the mushrooms kept aside. Add in the optional tablespoon of butter and mix well. Top with green onions and enjoy!
- I used cremini mushrooms, but regular white button mushrooms will work too.
- I made this pilaf with short grain brown rice. Long grain brown rice will work too. Or you can also use white rice in this recipe.
- White basmati or jasmine rice will also work, however reduce the cooking time depending on the rice you choose. I cook white rice for 4 minutes at high pressure with 10 minute natural pressure release in the instant pot.
- I have used Better Than Bullion base to make broth. It is just easier to keep at hand for all my cooking. You may want to skip adding salt if using it.
- I like to sprinkle some lime juice just before enjoying mushroom pilaf in the bowl.
If you like this recipe, you might also like –