Easy and delicious Mushroom Mutter Masala or Mushroom Peas Curry made in Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. This vegan and gluten free Mushroom Matar Masala is perfect for a delicious warm weeknight dinner!
Mushrooms, also known as kukkarmuta and khumbi in hindi are a source of powerful nutrients. They are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more. Mushrooms historically have not been as common in the Indian household, but growing in popularity.
Another good thing about mushrooms is that they cook very quickly. Even more quickly in an Instant Pot. I use them frequently in curries, omelets, and pastas. For this recipe, I have used white button mushrooms. Just chop them and add them to a creamy onion-tomato gravy. They are delicious and you will love them. Serve this curry with rice, roti or naan.
Some other easy instant pot curries that you might enjoy:
Enjoy this easy Mushroom Masala and don't forget to share how it turns out!
Instant Pot Mushroom Mutter Masala (Green Peas Mushroom Curry)
- 8 ounces Mushroom cleaned and sliced
- ¾ cup Green peas I used frozen
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1" inch Ginger grated
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Green Chili Pepper diced, optional
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 2 Tomato large, pureed
- 2 tablespoon Cream or Coconut Milk for vegan
- 1 tablespoon Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi) crushed
- Cilantro to garnish
- Start the instant pot in saute mode and heat oil in it. Add cumin seeds and saute for a minute until they sizzle.
- Add the onions and green chili. Cook for about 4 minutes until the onions turn golden.
- While the onions are cooking, blend tomatoes to a puree. Once the onions are ready, add the tomato puree, spices and salt to the instant pot. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and green peas. Change the instant pot setting to manual/pressure cook mode on high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Once the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Stir in the cream. Crush the fenugreek leaves between your palms and add to the instant pot. Give it a good stir.
- Garnish with cilantro. Mushroom Matar is ready to be served. Enjoy with roti or rice.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.