One of the favorite North Indian curries…Mutter Paneer Masala or Green Peas & Cottage Cheese Curry. This is one of my go to recipe when I have guests at home or even on weekends, when I crave homemade north indian food.
I have adjusted my recipe here to make in an instant pot, but it can easily be made in a sauce pan or a regular pressure cooker.
How to make restaurant style Mutter Paneer?
This is cooked in a onion-tomato gravy base with green peas (mutter) and cottage cheese (paneer). To make it more flavorful and creamier, we add malai or whipping cream to it. You can also add cashew paste to make the gravy creamier if you don’t have malai at home. You will find this curry very similar to mutter paneer you get in restaurants or even better.
Low-fat Mutter Paneer Option
When making mutter paneer at home for everyday meals, I mostly skip the cream completely to make it lighter. The best part is this curry is not just tasty, but also very quick to make. Paneer can be eaten as is, and does not require much cooking. Some recipes suggest frying the paneer, so it does not break, which is great too.
Check out other curry recipes at Piping Pot Curry:
Instant Pot Mutter Paneer Masala (Green Peas & Cottage Cheese Curry)
- 10 oz Paneer or Cottage cheese cubed
- 1 cup Green peas
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 1" inch Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chili Pepper
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 tbsp Cream
- 1 tbsp Coconut Cream or Coconut milk 1/4 cup (optional)
- 2 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi) (Optional)
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tsp Salt
- Cilantro to garnish
- Grind onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli to a paste.
- Start the Instant Pot in sauté mode. Add oil and cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds start to splutter, add grinded paste from step 1. Let this cook for 4 mins until the onions turn light brown.
- On the side, grind tomatoes at the same time. Once the onion is cooked, add the tomatoes paste to the instant pot and cook for another 4 mins.
- Stir in the spices and salt. Roll the kasuri methi with your hand to make it a fine powder. Stir it in the instant pot.
- Add the cubed paneer, green peas and water to the instant pot. If anything is stuck to the bottom, deglaze the pot. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual mode for 2 minutes.
- Once the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Stir in the cream/malai and coconut cream.
- Garnish with cilantro. Mutter paneer is ready to serve.
- You can also add paneer after pressure cooking, if you prefer.
- Vegan Variation: Skip the cream and add more coconut cream.