Sweet, spicy and tangy Apricot Chutney is so easy to make on the stovetop or in the instant pot. This vegan and gluten-free chutney is so versatile and great on so many things.
We recently moved into a new home and now we have an apricot tree in the backyard. Little did we realize about the amount of ripened apricots we will get in a short period of two weeks.
So here I am sharing the apricot chutney I made with those fresh ripe apricots. I also made apricot jam and then shared many apricots with friends and neighbors.
I am sharing the Indian style apricot chutney, called Khubani ki chutney in Hindi. It is cooked with lots of aromatic spices. I add Garam Masala and mild Kashmiri chili powder. Ginger adds a wonderful flavor to the chutney.
This sweet spicy apricot chutney is just so good. You will love it!
This Apricot Chutney
✔ is easy to make.
✔ is a delicious side or topping for your main dish.
✔ is vegan and gluten-free
✔ can be paid with cheese and used as a spread.
Apricots: I used fresh apricots to make this chutney. You want delicious sweet apricots for this recipe.
Onions: I used a diced red onion.
Ginger: Use about a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger. It adds a spicy zing and so much flavor.
Spices: I used lots of wonderful aromatic whole spices such as cinnamon, cloves, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and cumin seeds. Then I added ground Garam Masala and mild Kashmiri red chili powder (paprika is a good substitute)
Apple cider vinegar: This balances the sweetness in the chutney. You can use white vinegar if you dont have apple cider vinegar.
Brown Sugar: I used brown sugar to sweeten the chutney. You can use regular sugar or jaggery too.
How to make?
The recipe is very straight forward and simple.
The most time it took for me was to cut and remove the seeds from the apricots. After that, it was a quick process to cook the chutney.
Start with sautéing the whole spices in oil so that they release their aroma. Then add diced onions and ginger and sauté until the onions soften.
Then I add the pitted apricots along with the ground spices and vinegar. Cover and cook until the apricots are softened.
Once done, then add brown sugar and saute to thicken the chutney. That is all, you will end up with delicious apricot chutney.
Transfer to a glass mason jar and store it for up to two weeks in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the chutney.
Instant Pot Method
You can also make this chutney in the instant pot. Pressure cook on high pressure for 2 minutes, and release the pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps (5 minute NPR). Add the sugar after pressure cooking, and sauté for 4-5 minutes to thicken the chutney.
If you are using an 8qt instant pot, you might want to add some water (about ⅓ cup) as it has a bigger surface area.
How to Serve?
- You can serve this with grilled fish, chicken or lamb. It will also pair well with grilled veggies and paneer.
- Enjoy it the indian way with parathas, puri, or dosa.
- Serve it on a cheese board with nuts and crackers.
- Add it to your sandwiches and wraps for a flavor explosion.
Tips for the Best Apricot Chutney
- I did not add any water when making this chutney as the apricots release their liquid as they cook. That is enough to make the chutney
- Stir it at regular intervals when making on the stovetop.
- This chutney thickens as it cools, so it is best to stop cooking once it has a paste-like consistency.
- You can also add golden raisins when making this chutney.
Hope you enjoy this delicious Apricot chutney!
Some more chutney recipes you will enjoy:
Fresh Apricot Chutney
- Wash and dry the apricots. Half them and remove the seeds. If they are large in size, then chop them into small pieces. I had about 3 cups (12oz) apricots after removing seeds
- Heat oil in a saucepan on stove-top on medium heat. One hot, add all the whole spices and let them sizzle.
- Add onions, ginger, and let them cook for about 3 minutes until the onions soften.
- Add the apricots, red chili powder, salt, apple cider vinegar. Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook on medium heat until the apricots are cooked and softened. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and cook uncovered for 5 minutes so that the chutney thickens. Keep stirring at regular intervals. You can also mush the apricots using a spatula.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Discard cinnamon stick. Let the chutney cool, then transfer to an airtight container and enjoy.
Instant Pot Method
- You can also make this chutney in the instant pot. Pressure cook on high pressure for 2 minutes, and release the pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps (5 minute NPR). Add the sugar after pressure cooking, and sauté for 4-5 minutes to thicken the chutney.If you are using an 8qt instant pot, you might want to add some water (about ⅓ cup) as it has a bigger surface area.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.