Try these easy Homemade French Fries made in the Air Fryer or in the Pressure Cooker using the Crisplid. They are so good, you will never want to have deep-fried fries again!
To make these crispy homemade French fries, all you need is potato, a drizzle of olive oil, salt pepper and any of your favorite seasonings. We always like to include a dipping sauce with our fries. This time it was this super easy yogurt dipping sauce!
I recently got the Mealthy Crisplid and the first thing I wanted to try to make using it is French Fries. If you have not heard of the Crisplid, it is a cool new gadget that fits on top of your existing pressure cooker. Check out my detailed Crisplid review here!
Click here to order the Mealthy Crisplid using my referral link.
Now when I tried French Fries using the Crisplid, I wanted to share how they compare with the French fries made in the Air Fryer. So here you get to see all the details and can make a fair assessment of where you want to make your fries!
Prepping the Potatoes for Crispy Homemade French Fries
The first thing is to use large Russet Potatoes to make fresh French Fries. I used 2 potatoes, washed them well and sliced them into medium strips evenly. Peeling potatoes or not is a personal choice. I have tried both ways and it works well.
Now soak the potatoes in water for about 15 minutes. This helps remove some of the starch content and get crispy fries. That said, if you don't have enough time, you can skip this step. I tried without soaking and the result was still very good. I think the Air Fryers do a good job of crisping the fries either way!
Pat dry the sliced potatoes with a paper towel. N0w season the potatoes. I like to add salt, pepper and garlic powder to my fries. Add some olive oil or another oil of your choice. This helps the seasoning stick to the fries. Toss well to coat the potatoes with the seasoning.
How to make Air Fryer French Fries?
Place the seasoned potatoes in the Air Fryer for 10-15 minutes at 375°F. Toss in between half way through so all sides are cooked well.
How to make French Fries using the Mealthy Crisplid with Pressure Cooker?
Place the trivet and the cooking basket with the sliced potatoes inside the pressure cooker inner stainless steel pot. Now place the lid on top of the inner pot using the handle on the crisplid.
Make sure the pressure cooker is unplugged. Plug the crisplid and lower the handle.
Cook for 10 minutes at 375°F. Then toss and cook for another 10 minutes.
If you like the fries to be crispier, then toss and add 5 more minutes.
One of the big advantages of the crisplid is that I can see the food being cooked.
It was so hard to wait to get this gorgeous picture. I just wanted to dig in and gobble up the best french fries 😉
So I don't have a specific preference to the gadget used for cooking these fresh french fries . I thought both the stand-alone Air Fryer and the Pressure Cooker Crisplid gave good results for French Fries. Depending on your personal situation for space and budget, enjoy the French Fries using the gadget you prefer!
Air Fryer French Fries
- Scrub potatoes and then slice into strips. You can peel the potatoes if you like.
- Soak potatoes in fresh water for 15 minutes. Then drain water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add the oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder in the sliced potatoes in a bowl. Toss to coat
For Air Fryer:
- Arrange the seasoned potato slices on the bottom of your air fryer basket, in a single layer, if possible. The more separated the potatoes, the crispier they will be. If needed, you can also cook the fries in batches. This will depend on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook the fries at 375ºF for 10-15 minutes. Toss the fries half way through. If the fries need to be crisper, allow to cook for additional time.
For Pressure Cooker Crisplid:
- Place the trivet and the cooking basket with the sliced potato inside the pressure cooker inner stainless steel pot. Try to place the fries in a single layer. If needed, you can also cook the fries in batches.
- Now place the crisplid on top of the inner pot using the handle on the crisplid. Plug the crisplid and lower the handle. (Make sure the pressure cooker is unplugged)
- Set to 375°F (190°C) and cook potatoes for 10 minutes. Flip fries and continue cooking until crisp, about 10 minutes more. If you like the fries to be crispier, then toss and add 5 more minutes.
- Remove the french fries into a serving plate and serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Season the fries with your choice of seasoning. Some options are paprika, onion salt, garlic powder, etc.
- We love to sprinkle some chili lime seasoning on the fries while eating them.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.