This easy homemade nutrition-packed Sprouts Salad made with sprouted mung beans, crunchy onions, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, and spices. It is a refreshing salad that has fresh and tangy flavors and can be enjoyed as a great protein-rich breakfast or snack.
Sprouts are packed with flavor and nutrition and are quite easy to make at home. They are traditionally used worldwide in different cuisines in many dishes. They can be eaten as a main dish or be added to salads.
Growing up, my mom used to include sprouts in our meals regularly. Once sprouted, the levels of vitamins and minerals especially vitamin B and carotene increase. Sprouting also increases the protein content. Here is my recipe to sprout mung beans using the instant pot.
Sprouted mung bean salad has an amazing combination of delicious taste and health factors. Serve it as a side dish, breakfast, or as a snack.
Table of contents
What are Mung beans?
Mung beans are also known as green gram, it is a species in the legume family. They are very popular in Asian cuisines where they are used in curries, soup, and even desserts.
Mung beans are high in protein. Sprouting them not only increases their nutrition but also makes them easily digestible. Making homemade sprouts is super easy. Though they can be bought from the store as well.
Check out this post on How to Sprout Lentils. I have mentioned all the tips and tricks that will help you to sprout mung beans at home easily.
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber.
- They contains lots of antioxidants and amino acids.
- Low in calorie.
- Rich in potassium, magnesium, and fiber.
Ingredients for Sprouts Salad
- Moong Sprouts: I used raw sprouted moong beans in this recipe. However, if you like, you can steam the mung sprouts before using them in the recipe too.
- Veggies: You'll need diced tomatoes, onions, cucumber.
- Avocado: I also like to add avocado.
- Spices: To season you'll need red chili powder, green chili pepper, cumin powder, chaat masala, dry mango powder, and salt. The spices can be adjusted to taste.
- Lime juice: I like to use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Garnish: Cilantro leaves and peanuts.
Let's start making sprouted mung bean salad
Add the sprouted mung beans to a bowl. Add diced green chili, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, lime juice.
Add all spices to it. Mix well.
Taste and adjust salt as needed. Top with cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
Variations of Sprouts Salad
- You can add veggies or fruits of your choice to this salad. Some people like to add boiled potatoes, or if mango is in season, add some chopped raw mangoes to make it tangier.
- This salad can be made with boiled moong beans, chickpeas, black chickpeas, kidney beans, or other sprouts too.
Yes, you can. Make sure you do not add spices and lemon juice before storing. Add them when you are ready to eat.
Yes, if you prefer to cook the mung sprouts before adding the salad, that works great too.
Cook on stovetop: Boil 5 cups water on the stovetop. Add the mung bean sprouts and quickly blanch them for 2-3 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Drain the water and transfer the sprouts to a colander.
Steam in instant pot: Or you can cook them in the instant pot. Add the sprouted mung beans to a steamer basket that fits in the instant pot. Add 1 cup water to the instant pot and then place the steamer basket. Steam for 2 minutes at high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then release pressure manually.
Hope you enjoy this delicious and healthy Moong Sprouts Salad!
Here are some more salads you might enjoy:
- Pesto Orzo Salad
- Kachumber (Indian Cucumber Salad)
- Kala Chana Chaat (Black Chickpea Salad)
- Caprese Orzo Pasta Salad
Sprouts Salad (Sprouted Mung Bean Salad)
- Add the sprouted mung beans to a bowl. Add green chili, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, lime juice and spices to it. Mix well. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Top with cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
- You can add veggies of your choice in this salad. Some people like to add boiled potatoes, or if mango is in season, add some chopped raw mangoes to make it more tangy.
- This salad can be made with boiled moong beans, chickpeas, black chickpeas, kidney beans or other sprouts too.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.