I was making some sweets for Diwali, but was not sure my daughter will eat any of them. So I thought if I added a little touch of chocolate to them, she would gobble them up. And that is exactly what happened! I felt like such a genius 🙂
You could call these Chocolate Almond Energy Bites, Cocoa Almond Fudge or Chocolate Almond Peda (in India). The difference is the shape. I made balls and flattened them a bit, so they look like small coins. This is the shape for peda’s served as sweets in India. But I have made these much much healthier than the store brought sweets by adding a lot of almond flour to them.
Here is another recipe which kids love and is so healthy and easy to make – Almond Butter Energy Balls.
Chocolate Almond Bites (Peda)
- Heat a pan on medium flame and add ghee to it. Add the condensed milk and let it heat for 2 minutes.
- Add almond flour and mix with the condensed milk.
- Add cocoa powder and mix well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring continuously. The mixture should be thick such that you can roll in your hands.
- Take the pan off the flame and let the mixture cool for 3-4 minutes. We want the mixture to be warm at a temperature you can take in your hand.
- Grease your hands with ghee or oil. Take a small amount of mixture in your hands and roll it like a ball using both hands. Press the ball to make the flattened coin shape. Press 2-3 sliced almond on top to garnish.
- Keep them at room temperature for about an hour and enjoy!
- Store these bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. If you are storing them in the refrigerator, then remove them 30 mins before serving.
- If you don't have Almond flour, grind almonds to make a fine powder.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.