Seviyan Kheer / Vermicelli Kheer / Semiyan Payasam made in the Instant Pot. This is a creamy and delicious pudding made with vermicelli, milk and sugar, infused with aromatic saffron, cardamom, nuts and raisins.
It is common to make this seviyan kheer on festivals in India. This is also a great addition to gatherings or potlucks you might attend during festivals. You will love the ease of making this kheer in the instant pot.
As I mentioned in my Rice Kheer recipe, making kheer in the instant pot is a game changer. The best thing about making kheer in the ip, no stirring and it is ready in less than 30 mins! Traditionally making kheer meant keeping milk and rice on the stove for a long time and stirring it frequently until the milk thickens and becomes creamy. With the Porridge setting in instant pot, the same thing happens, but you just dump all the ingredients and go your happy way to enjoy yourself. Come back to perfectly creamy and delicious seviyan kheer.
How to make Vermicelli Kheer in Instant Pot?
Some of you may be new to vermicelli, so I want to share a picture of what it looks like. They are like thin spaghetti or like noodles, but have a different texture than both. I use the thick vermicelli for this recipe. I always keep these in my pantry (similar to pasta), they cook so quickly and are perfect for busy times.
Oh..and I prefer to buy roasted vermicelli, so I don’t have to spend any extra minutes roasting it. It is all about quick and delicious cooking. Isn’t it?
This vermicelli pudding is super easy with just adding all ingredients to the instant pot and setting it on porridge mode. The instant pot does it’s magic and perfect aromatic kheer is ready for you in less than mins. If you have not tried this in instant pot yet, you just have to!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious vermicelli kheer. Do share how it turned out!
Vermicelli Kheer / Semiyan Payasam - Instant Pot
- Add everything in the instant pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Set instant pot to PORRIDGE mode for 10 minutes. When instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open Instant Pot and mix well. Vermicelli Kheer is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
- If needed, to get the desired consistency, cook on SAUTE mode for 2-3 mins. Or add more milk, mix and let it boil for a minute.
- Sanitize the instant pot thoroughly - the steel insert, lid and sealing ring. If you have an extra sealing ring for sweet foods, use it.
- If you don't have already roasted nuts. Add 1 tbsp of ghee in the instant pot and saute the nuts for about a minute. Then follow the recipe.
- If you don’t have roasted vermicelli, you can roast it right in your instant pot. Add a tbsp of ghee, add the vermicelli and roast it for about 3-4 minutes till they become golden brown and then add the other ingredients.
- When you refrigerate kheer, it will thicken. You can reheat it with additional milk to get the consistency you like.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Check out the collection of 10 Instant Pot Indian Desserts from the best blogs here.