Seviyan Kheer / Vermicelli Kheer / Semiyan Payasam made in the Instant Pot. This is a creamy and delicious pudding made with vermicelli, milk and sugar, infused with aromatic saffron, cardamom, nuts and raisins.
It is common to make this seviyan kheer on festivals in India. This is also a great addition to gatherings or potlucks you might attend during festivals. You will love the ease of making this kheer in the instant pot.
As I mentioned in my Rice Kheer recipe, making kheer in the instant pot is a game changer. The best thing about making kheer in the ip, no stirring and it is ready in less than 30 mins! Traditionally making kheer meant keeping milk and rice on the stove for a long time and stirring it frequently until the milk thickens and becomes creamy. With the Porridge setting in instant pot, the same thing happens, but you just dump all the ingredients and go your happy way to enjoy yourself. Come back to perfectly creamy and delicious seviyan kheer.
How to make Vermicelli Kheer in Instant Pot?
Some of you may be new to vermicelli, so I want to share a picture of what it looks like. They are like thin spaghetti or like noodles, but have a different texture than both. I use the thick vermicelli for this recipe. I always keep these in my pantry (similar to pasta), they cook so quickly and are perfect for busy times.
Oh..and I prefer to buy roasted vermicelli, so I don’t have to spend any extra minutes roasting it. It is all about quick and delicious cooking. Isn’t it?
This vermicelli pudding is super easy with just adding all ingredients to the instant pot and setting it on porridge mode. The instant pot does it’s magic and perfect aromatic kheer is ready for you in less than mins. If you have not tried this in instant pot yet, you just have to!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious vermicelli kheer. Do share how it turned out!
Here are other desserts that you might enjoy:
- Brown Rice Kheer – A healthier variation of the traditional kheer with brown rice, and milk infused with saffron, cardamom and assorted dried fruits.
- Carrot Pudding – Carrot Kheer is made with carrots, milk, cashews and dates, with the added aroma of cardamom & saffron. A delicious & satisfying desert, with no added sugar.
- Coconut Almond Laddoo – A quick sweet recipe that can be made in just 20 minutes for any occasion.
- Sabudana Kheer – This gluten-free Sabudana pudding is made with tapioca pearls and milk in the instant pot.
Vermicelli Kheer / Semiyan Payasam - Instant Pot
- Add everything in the instant pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position. (see notes to sanitize the pot)
- Set instant pot to PORRIDGE mode for 10 minutes. When instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. (If you do not plan to serve this right after cooking, then cook 6 minutes on PORRIDGE mode)
- Open Instant Pot and mix well. Vermicelli Kheer is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
- If needed, to get the desired consistency, cook on SAUTE mode for 2-3 mins. Or add more milk, mix and let it boil for a minute.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Check out the collection of 10 Instant Pot Indian Desserts from the best blogs here.