Seviyan Kheer / Vermicelli Kheer / Semiyan Payasam made in the Instant Pot. This is a creamy and delicious pudding made with vermicelli, milk and sugar, infused with aromatic saffron, cardamom, nuts and raisins.
It is common to make this seviyan kheer on festivals in India, similar to Sheer Khurma. This is also a great addition to gatherings or potlucks you might attend during festivals. You will love the ease of making this kheer in the instant pot.
As I mentioned in my Rice Kheer recipe, making kheer in the instant pot is a game changer. The best thing about making kheer in the ip, no stirring and it is ready in less than 30 mins! Traditionally making kheer meant keeping milk and rice on the stove for a long time and stirring it frequently until the milk thickens and becomes creamy. With the Porridge setting in instant pot, the same thing happens, but you just dump all the ingredients and go your happy way to enjoy yourself. Come back to perfectly creamy and delicious seviyan kheer.
How to make Vermicelli Kheer in Instant Pot?
Some of you may be new to vermicelli, so I want to share a picture of what it looks like. They are like thin spaghetti or like noodles, but have a different texture than both. I use the thick vermicelli for this recipe. I always keep these in my pantry (similar to pasta), they cook so quickly and are perfect for busy times.
Oh..and I prefer to buy roasted vermicelli, so I don’t have to spend any extra minutes roasting it. It is all about quick and delicious cooking. Isn’t it?
This vermicelli pudding is super easy with just adding all ingredients to the instant pot and setting it on porridge mode. The instant pot does it’s magic and perfect aromatic kheer is ready for you in less than mins. If you have not tried this in instant pot yet, you just have to!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious vermicelli kheer. Do share how it turned out!
Here are other desserts that you might enjoy:
- Brown Rice Kheer - A healthier variation of the traditional kheer with brown rice, and milk infused with saffron, cardamom and assorted dried fruits.
- Carrot Pudding - Carrot Kheer is made with carrots, milk, cashews and dates, with the added aroma of cardamom & saffron. A delicious & satisfying desert, with no added sugar.
- Coconut Almond Laddoo - A quick sweet recipe that can be made in just 20 minutes for any occasion.
- Sabudana Kheer - This gluten-free Sabudana pudding is made with tapioca pearls and milk in the instant pot.
Vermicelli Kheer / Semiyan Payasam - Instant Pot
- ½ cup Roasted Vermicelli
- ¼ cup Sugar adjust to taste
- 3 cups Milk whole
- ¼ cup Roasted Mixed nuts chopped or sliced (cashews, almonds, walnut, pistachios) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Raisins (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon Saffron (Kesar) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder (Elaichi) (optional)
- Add everything in the instant pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position. (see notes to sanitize the pot)
- Set instant pot to PORRIDGE mode for 10 minutes. When instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. (If you do not plan to serve this right after cooking, then cook 6 minutes on PORRIDGE mode)
- Open Instant Pot and mix well. Vermicelli Kheer is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
- If needed, to get the desired consistency, cook on SAUTE mode for 2-3 mins. Or add more milk, mix and let it boil for a minute.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Check out the collection of 10 Instant Pot Indian Desserts from the best blogs here.
Primrose Bohne says
How do you measure 1/2 cup vermicelli? Do you have a weight?
This recipe is just perfect. Delicious kheer with the right amount of milk and nice, plump seviyaan. The best part is that it is a dump and go recipe, needs zero babysitting! Thanks Meeta.
Piping Pot Curry says
Hi Mugdha - So happy to hear that. Thank you for sharing it back 🙂
So id I understand this right, for 12 people I would need to make it 3 tomes in a 6 quart pot. Please confirm as I have to have this for 1st August, 2022.
Meeta Arora says
I usually make 1x the amount in the recipe, as we are using milk that can sometimes boil and come out. However, if you want to make 3x, I would suggest cooking 1.5x two times. That way you can save some time. Hope you enjoy the kheer!
If I need it for Tuesday evening can I make it Sunday night or Monday morning? I prefer to make it on Sunday night if possible. Thanks in advance
Meeta Arora says
Hi Kalpana - We discussed over email. But I wanted to add the response here as well. You can make seviyan kheer the day before. However, it might get a little thick as it soaks up all the liquid. So you can heat some milk on the day and add to get them to the right consistency.