Kheer or Payasam is an Indian favorite dessert for special occasions. It is basically rice pudding made with rice and milk infused with saffron, cardamom and assorted dried fruits. This recipe is a variation to use brown rice in this favorite dessert made in the Instant Pot.
As I mentioned in my (white) Rice Kheer recipe, using the instant pot to make kheer is a game changer. There is no stirring the kheer for an hour or two while it cooks. Just add in all the ingredients and push the porridge button. Come back to delicious kheer ready in 45 minutes. Since I posted the white rice kheer recipe, I got multiple request for a brown rice kheer recipe, which is preferred for health reasons by some people.
How to make Brown Rice Kheer in Instant Pot?
This recipe is very similar to the rice kheer, the two main differences are – Less milk as brown rice fluff less than white rice and more cooking time.
I rinsed and soaked the brown rice for 2 hours. Then cooked them with all the ingredients for 30 minutes in porridge mode and let the pressure release naturally.
Some folks have had disappointments with kheer in the instant pot, as the milk has curdled. Hence the foremost step in this recipe is to clean the instant pot, lid and sealing ring thoroughly. If you do keep separate sealing rings for sweet and savory foods, do use the one for sweets before making kheer.
Brown Rice Pudding / Kheer - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice soaked in warm water for 1 hour, then drained
- 4 cups Milk preferably whole milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Mixed nuts chopped or sliced (cashews, almonds, walnut, pistachios) (optional)
- 1 tbsp Raisins (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder (Elaichi) (optional)
- 1/8 tsp Saffron (Kesar) (optional)
- Sanitize the instant pot thoroughly - the steel insert, lid and sealing ring. If you have an extra sealing ring for sweet foods, use it.
- Add everything in the instant pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Set instant pot to PORRIDGE mode for 30 minutes. When instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open Instant Pot and mix well. The pudding would have a thinner consistency at this time. It will thicken as it cools.
- Rice Pudding or Kheer is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
- If you don't have already roasted nuts. Add 1 tbsp of ghee in the instant pot and saute the nuts for about a minute. Then follow the recipe.
- When kheer is stored, it gets thicker and creamier. If you prefer, you can thin the consistency by adding more milk.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker. I do not recommend making this in a 3qt or doubling the recipe in a 6qt, as the milk boils and can come out.
- Add cinnamon powder and vanilla essence to get a different flavor.
- You can use brown sugar instead of white sugar, based on your preference.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious rice pudding. Do share how it turned out!
Check out the collection of 10 Instant Pot Indian Desserts from the best blogs here.