Sweet or Meethi Seviyan, a sweet dessert made with vermicelli, ghee, sugar, cardamom and nuts. This is also called Vermicelli Kesari or Parsi style sweet seviyan. A perfect one pot sweet dessert which is ready in 15 mins in the instant pot.
This is a very quick and easy dessert, and so delicious. Yum! And with the sweet tooth that many of us have, I don’t mind this for breakfast as well. It is not too sweet, just the right amount. If you are not the one with a sweet tooth, try the savory recipe, Seviyan Upma.
Preparing Sweet Vermicelli in Pressure Cooker
This is a super simple recipe. Just roast the nuts, add the vermicelli and stir for 30 seconds. Add the other ingredients and let the instant pot do its magic.
Some of you may be new to vermicelli, so I want to share a picture of what it looks like. They are like thin spaghetti or like noodles, but have a different texture than both. I use the thick vermicelli for this recipe. I always keep these in my pantry (similar to pasta), they cook so quickly and are perfect for busy times.
Oh..and I prefer to buy roasted vermicelli, so I don’t have to spend any extra minutes roasting it. It is all about quick and delicious cooking. Isn’t it?
So let’s see how we do this in less than 15 mins. Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and heat ghee in it. Add the assorted nuts or dried fruits you like, about 1/4 cup. If you have roasted nuts, even better 🙂 Then add the roasted vermicelli.
Now if you don’t have roasted vermicelli, you can roast it right in your instant pot. When you add ghee, add the vermicelli and roast it for about 3-4 minutes and then add the nuts.
Add the water, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron. Close the instant pot and set it on high pressure cooking for 1 minute. When the pressure cooking is done, do a 5 minute NPR, which means open the instant pot 5 minutes after the beep.
Sweet Seviyan are ready to be served. Enjoy it for a dessert treat.
Sweet Seviyan / Vermicelli – Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and heat ghee in it.
- Add the nuts & dried fruits and saute for 30 seconds. Then add roasted vermicelli and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients - sugar, water, cardamom and saffron. Press CANCEL and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
- Press MANUAL or pressure cook mode and set it for 1 minute at high pressure.
- When the instant pot beeps, do 5 minute natural pressure release, which means release pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps.
- Sweet Seviyan are ready to be served.
- If you don’t have roasted vermicelli, you can roast it right in your instant pot. When you add ghee, add the vermicelli and roast it for about 3-4 minutes and then add the nuts.
- I made these Sweet Seviyan with water, but you can also use 1/2 milk and 1/2 water.
- It is recommended to buy whole cardamom pods and grind them at home to make a powder.
- I did not use raisins in this recipe, but add it based on your preference.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.