With the fall weather in full swing, I have been craving soup. Here is a simple and delicious Broccoli Cheddar soup that can be ready in minutes in the Instant Pot. I used to have this soup at cafe’s and wondered how they make this creamy comforting soup. Ooooh…the yummy broccoli and carrots in a delicious cheesy base. Now I make this soup in the comfort of my home in the amazing Instant Pot! You could very much call this a Panera Copycat Broccoli Cheddar soup.
Even thought the name of the soup is broccoli cheddar, I adds carrots and onions too. I love the added nutrition from all the veggies disguised in this creamy soup.
This is a super quick recipe, just make sure you have cheddar cheese at home. I made this soup in an Instant Pot, but it can easily be made in a normal pressure cooker or in a pot on the stovetop, just allow a extra time to make the soup creamy.
A comforting Creamy Broccoli Cheddar soup loaded with veggies and cheddar cheese made in the instant pot.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 1 cup Cream heavy whipping or Milk
Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and melt butter in it. Add diced onions and minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add broccoli, carrots, seasoning and broth. Press Cancel and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
Set the instant pot on MANUAL or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid.
When the pressure cooking is done, melt butter on a stovetop saucepan. Add the flour and saute for a minute until it is cooked. Whisk in the cream/milk, a little bit at a time, until you have a smooth thick consistency.
Change the instant pot to SAUTE mode. Stir in the sauce you prepared on stovetop. Add the cheddar cheese gradually, stirring continuously, until it melts. Press Cancel.
Soup is ready to be served.
- I have used Better Than Bullion base to make broth. It is just easier to keep at hand for all my cooking.
- I used only cheddar cheese in this recipe. If you like, you can add other cheeses you love.
- No Flour / Gluten-free variation: Skip the all-purpose flour to make this soup gluten-free. Add the extra butter in step 1 to the instant pot and cream/milk after pressure cooking is done.
- No cream variation: Some readers have tried this soup with milk, in place of cream and they loved it. It was a thinner consistency, but the same great taste.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker. This recipe has been updated to not cook flour under pressure.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Check out other soups made in the instant pot –
Pin it for later:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!