Kale Chana Dal or Kale Chickpeas Stir Fry made in Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. This recipe is a great twist to incorporate kale in Indian cooking.
I am always looking for ideas to incorporate kale in Indian cooking. This recipe is inspired by a post on Instant Pot for Indian Cooking facebook group by Kiranmayee Pullakhandam. It is super healthy and delicious.
Kale is low in calories, high in fiber and has zero fat. One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It is great for aiding in digestion with its great fiber content. Kale is filled with so many nutrients, vitamins, folate, magnesium and many others. Chickpeas are no less – They are a great source of plant based protein and are also known for their high fiber content. Combining both of these, this split chickpeas and kale stir fry is a superfood in itself.
Step-by-step Kale Chana Dal in Instant Pot
This is such a quick and simple recipe. The only step that takes time is the soaking, you need to soak chana dal for one or more hours. This is required, as otherwise the dal can remain uncooked.
When you are ready to cook, drain the chana dal and keep it aside. Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add in mustard seeds, garlic and red chili. Add in the sliced onions and sauté for about 4 minutes until the onions start to change color. Stir in the chana dal, spices and sauté for couple of minutes.
Add in the chopped kale leaves and mix well. Now change the instant pot setting to cook in manual mode for 3 minutes with vent in sealing position. When instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Stir in the dry mango or amchur powder.
If the kale is watery when you open, change the instant pot setting to sauté mode and stir for a couple of minutes to get the desired consistency. I usually prefer it dry, like a stir fry.
Kale Chana Dal Stir Fry
- Soak the chana dal for 1 hours or more. When ready to cook, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Start the instant pot in sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds, garlic and red chili.
- When the garlic turns golden brown, add in the chopped onions and let them cook for 4 minutes. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Add the chana dal and spices. Mix and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale leaves and mix well. Add 1/8 cup water.
- Change instant pot setting to manual mode for 3 minutes with vent in sealing position. When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually.
- Add dry mango powder. Turn instant pot on sauté and cook further if there is any extra water to get desired consistency. Stir frequently.
- Kale chana dal stir fry is ready. Serve with hot roti or paratha.
- Soaking chana dal for 1+ hours is required, otherwise it can remain uncooked as the kale gets cooked quickly.
- This same stir fry can be made with spinach leaves.
- If you don't have dry mango powder, replace with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.