Chicken Keema Matar or Ground Chicken Curry with Peas made in Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Keema is a popular street food in Mumbai served with pav (similar to dinner rolls, but not sweet). Keema is also a popular dish in North Indian cuisine.
What is Keema?
Keema is basically minced meat (chicken or lamb) cooked with onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and wonderful whole spices. Oh…the amazing aroma while the keema is being prepared definitely makes me very impatient. When preparing keema matar for this recipe post, I had a hard time waiting to take pictures, the aroma of the keema matar made me sooo hungry!
Keema is traditionally made with ground mutton (goat meat), but really you can make it with any meat – turkey, chicken, beef or lamb. I used chicken this time, but it is great to switch different meats.
The best way to eat keema is with naan or with dinner rolls. You can also serve it as a side with rice. How about some pasta with keema in it….oh, that will be amazing with all the earthy spices! Another way I like to use keema is in puff pastry as an appetizer. I will share that recipe soon.
How to make Keema Matar in a Pressure Cooker?
A picture is worth a thousand words….with that analogy, is a video is worth a million words??
Below is also a quick video of how to make keema matar. I made it in the instant pot, but you can make it in a traditional or electric pressure cooker. You can also make it in a pan on the stovetop, just allow some extra time to cook the ground meat.
Tips for Making Amazing Keema
- Don’t skimp on ghee or rather use ghee in this recipe for the authentic flavor. Make ghee at home using this instant pot recipe.
- Use kashmiri red chili powder, which gives an awesome color to the curry, while being not too spicy. I used 1 tsp, as my daughter was going to eat this. Go with 2 tsp if you enjoy spicy Indian food.
- Add one additional green chili (I use birdeye or thai chili pepper) for a spicier curry.
Enjoy it with dinner rolls or naan.
If you like this recipe, you might like the below chicken recipes made in a pressure cooker:
Instant Pot Keema Matar Recipe (Ground Chicken Curry)
- Start the pressure cooker in SAUTE mode and heat ghee in it. Add all the whole spices and saute them for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies and saute for 3 minutes until the raw smell is gone and the onions start to turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and spices. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and water. Mix chicken well with the other ingredients. This is important, so the chicken does not form lumps. Also make sure to scrape anything stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- Press Cancel and close the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Cook on MANUAL or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, do a 10 minute NPR, which means release the pressure manually 10 minutes after the beep.
- Add the green peas, lemon juice, mint and cilantro leaves and mix well. If any lumps are formed, mash them with the spatula. Cook for a minute on SAUTE mode, so the peas are cooked through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with naan or dinner rolls (toast them with a little butter).
- Adjust spice to your taste. To make this spicier, add more green chilies and red chili powder.
- Skip the black peppercorns if you don't like crunching into them while having a curry.
- You can use minced meat or ground meat for this recipe.
- If making this with lamb or mutton, increase the pressure cooking time to 8 minutes.
- Stovetop variation: Follow the same steps, allow extra 10 minutes for the chicken to cook in the pan.
- Using keema for puff pastry or sandwiches: After cooking, change to saute mode and dry the moisture in the keema.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.